[OS X TeX] Mac OS X 10.2 permissions

Jeff Collins vze22kt4 at verizon.net
Sun Sep 8 19:10:52 CEST 2002

On Sat, 7 Sep 2002 21:12:10 -0700, Richard Séguin wrote:

>but TeXShop 1.2 is so slow
>that it is practically unusable. It's acting
>as if it loops through the entire text for
>each character that I type.

Richard,  this post doesn't answer your question/problem directly, but I
might propose an alternative solution: use a different text editor.  I
think TeXShop is terrific for writing all the preamble material and
processing the document to PDF.  But in terms of support for text
handling (writing/editing/searching/managing/collaborating) for a paper
it just doesn't compare to a dedicated text editor (e.g. BBEdit).

What I do is use TeXShop for the preamble material with the paper title,
etc.  Then I use BBEdit to write the other chunks of the paper (e.g.
abstract, intro, section1, section2, findings, etc.).  Then it's just a
matter of using /input{} to hook all the sections together.  This
benefits me by letting me use TeXShop's straight-forward post-processing
capabilities *and* BBEdit's great text handling capabilities.  (It also
has the benefit of allowing the separate document sections be used as
part of other papers/projects, but I won't get into that workflow issue.)

So, my main TeXShop document might end up looking like this:

\documentclass[10pt]{article}
\usepackage{fancyhdr,graphicx}
\pagestyle{fancy}
\author{Jeff Collins\\Carnegie Mellon University}
\title{Capturing the Writer's Feel for Words}
\date{\today}
\begin{document}
\bibliographystyle{plain}
\maketitle
\begin{abstract}
\input{abstract}
\end{abstract}
\section{Introduction}
\input{intro}
\subsection{Review of Relevant Literature}
\input{litreviewgenre}
\section{Discussion of Methods}
\input{methods1}
\bibliography{masterlist5}
\end{document}

While everything else for the paper is edited in BBEdit and saved in
separate files.  Basically I do all the hard work of the paper in BBEdit
while TeXShop sits patiently out of the way in the background, always
ready to make my writing look beautiful.

cheers,
Jeff