[OS X TeX] Mac OS X 10.2 permissions

Axel E. Retif axretif at att.net.mx
Sun Sep 8 03:36:59 CEST 2002

On Friday, September 6, 2002, at 07:54  AM, Gerben Wierda wrote:

> On Friday, September 6, 2002, at 12:43 , Axel E.Retif wrote:
>
>> Excuse me for "replying" to my own post, but I found something in
>> Apple discussions that might be helpful to Mr. Wierda:
>>
>> In
>> http://discussions.info.apple.com/WebX?14@248.cjj8aT0bd26.4@.3bb9d36c/0
>
> Thanks, but why should this be helpful for me? Is there something I do
> not know/have forgotten?

It seems it's rather something *I* don't know. I thought problems some
people are having with 10.2 might be related both to permissions
settings (which I still think may be the cause of some) and that line by
Mr. Molnar:

Apple should NOT have changed the root user ID and the Admin GROUP ID
without makeing this clear in the readme files.

But to add to my confusion, I checked with id the root and my own
(first, administrator user) uid and groups id in my desktop with 10.1.5
and my PowerBook with 10.2, and both are the same. The only difference
is that on 10.2 I'm not in the wheel (0) group, but only in staff (20)
and admin (80) groups.

As I said in other mails, I haven't had any problems at all with 10.2
and your newest distribution (using TeXShop 1.2 as front end); but to
verify this with a real job, I took a 360+ pages book, with 276 .eps
graphics and images (so I used the TeX and Ghostscript option of
TeXShop), prepared by the TeXpert who created the STYs proper to our
publishing house.

It typesetted perfectly.

One more thing --do people who are getting problems with 10.2 have
installed the developers upgrade?

I proceeded this way: first, I erased my X partition and did a clean
install of 10.2; then I installed the Developer CD, followed by the
Developers upgrade, and only then I installed your newer distribution
(fat installer), TeXShop 1.2 and my other applications.

Any way --the thread that I think started all about the permissions
settings is this:

http://discussions.info.apple.com/WebX?50@248.cjj8aT0bd26.1@.3bb9d658

Axel