[OS X TeX] i-Installer & Jaguar (10.2) Trivial Fix

Gerben Wierda Sherlock at rna.nl
Tue Oct 8 19:32:02 CEST 2002

On Tuesday, Oct 8, 2002, at 17:03 Europe/Amsterdam, Troy Goodson wrote:

> You're talking about the process of naming a file.  Personally, I
> appreciate the functionality you've mentioned.  I expect "/" to be a
> valid character in a filename and, likewise, ";" to be invalid.  When
> an application asks me for a filename, I don't expect to be able to
> enter a path.  I expect to navigate the path and then type the
> filename.

I personally (and many ex-NeXTers with me) ament the loss of the
following functionality

	Having arrived at a certain level of navigation, just type a
dirname/filename where / is a dirseparator. If the dir or multiple dirs
do not exist ask: Directory foo/bar does not exist. Create? Having to
navigate is one thing, but having to create a directories by (e.g. 2
levels foo/bar/file)

	0. Navigate to starting point
	1. Selecting new folder
	2. Selecting that new folder
	3. Typing the new name foo
	4. Navigating into that new folder
	5. Selecting new folder
	6. Selecting that new folder bar
	7. Typing the new name
	8. Navigating into that new folder
	9. Typing the filename file and hit return

is 'a' step backward from

	0. Navigate to starting point
	1. Typing foo/bar/file and hit return
	2. Pressing return to accept creation of the subdirectories

PS. Open TextEdit.app, new file, type something, save file. Try to use
a name with either ':' or '/'. Both turn into '-' ;-). Again, qua
smartness and ease of use, this is one of the few areas where I think
we have gone back since OPENSTEP. I prefer having / as directory
separator over : because it is also the directory separator in URL's.