[OS X TeX] i-Installer & Jaguar (10.2) Trivial Fix

Juan Manuel Palacios jmpalacios at mac.com
Tue Oct 8 04:03:38 CEST 2002

On Monday, October 7, 2002, at 08:08  PM, Troy Goodson wrote:

> Not to start a flame war, but I've always been a little frustrated by
> this decision (the part about Cocoa apps seeing colons) because it
> means that filenames you see via Finder (which is Carbon) will be
> different than filenames you see in Cocoa applications :(

	A bit off topic but worth clarifying.The Finder used in Mac OS X is
a Cocoa application my friend, not Carbon. Take a closer look: not
runnable in Mac OS 9, presented as a "browsable" package, localization
support and the final test:

[juan at PowerBook: Acrobat Reader 5.0]% pwd
/Applications/Acrobat Reader 5.0
[juan at PowerBook: Acrobat Reader 5.0]% file Acrobat\ Reader\ 5.0
Acrobat Reader 5.0: CFM binary
[juan at PowerBook: Acrobat Reader 5.0]%

	Carbon applications are just classic CFM binaries with minor
modifications to the source code, whereas:

[juan at PowerBook: Acrobat Reader 5.0]% cd /System/Library/CoreServices/
[juan at PowerBook: CoreServices]% ls -l Finder.app/
total 0
drwxr-xr-x    7 root     wheel         264 Dec  8  2001 Contents/
[juan at PowerBook: CoreServices]%

	First we can see that what we see through the Finder as the
"application" is no more than a package, or a directory under Terminal's
eyes, which contains a binary inside:

[juan at PowerBook: CoreServices]% cd Finder.app/Contents/MacOS/
[juan at PowerBook: MacOS]% ls -l
total 2.3M
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     wheel        2.3M Aug 21 00:34 Finder*
[juan at PowerBook: MacOS]% file Finder
Finder: Mach-O executable ppc
[juan at PowerBook: MacOS]%

	See the difference between a Carbon and a Cocoa application?
Another example:

[juan at PowerBook: MacOS]% cd /Applications/Mail.app/Contents/MacOS/
[juan at PowerBook: MacOS]% ls -l
total 560k
-rwxr-sr-x    1 root     mail         556k Aug 21 00:32 Mail*
[juan at PowerBook: MacOS]% file Mail
Mail: setgid Mach-O executable ppc
[juan at PowerBook: MacOS]%

	For some reason the mail application has the "set" bit on at the
group level, but you get the idea from the file command output.
Something funny, we just can't deny that we learn something new every
single day, as I just found out that mail has the "set" bit on. I wonder
why...!

		Juan.