[OS X TeX] What is Copy and Paste in OS X?

Keith M. Chugg chugg at usc.edu
Thu Oct 17 08:00:21 CEST 2002

>On Tue, Oct 15, 2002 at 07:32:45PM -0700, Keith M. Chugg wrote:
>>  I started
>>  using Macs in the 80s b/c I could cut from one app and paste into
>>  another - what gives now?
>
>In the pre-unix Mac days, what actually happened when you
>cut-and-pasted graphics was dependent on the applications. With
>some pairs of programs you could not get high resolution pictures
>transferred this way, with some you could. I guess the situation
>is basically the same now.

 From 1990-OSX, copying an pasting from one app to another worked
really well with text and graphics preserved at high resolution.

Now, you paste a drawing from something like omnigraffle into word,
powerpoint, or even textedit and the text will not look high-res...
Pretty disappointing.

>  > This is related to an early post to this group in which I asked if
>>  anybody knew a *simple* way to get figures from my Textures-world
>>  (those that were generated with Superpaint or Kaliedagraph) into
>>  high-res pdf files.
>
>Can you use the original programs to "print" the pictures to postscript?
>If so, you're done. If the pictures are PICTs that are being included
>by TeXtures, you can do this with any program that can read PICT. Why
>can't you open the pictures with Preview and save as PDF?

The way I found to make it work is to print the original document to
.eps (not .ps).  Then, since this produces a .eps for the entire page
and not just the object, I need to edit the bounding box in the .eps
file.  This can be done by converting to .pdf and adjusting the
bounding box until its about right.  In Kaliedagraph, it prints just
the plot you're interested in, but I find the bounding box is a
little to small.  In superpaint, I can copy the object to a blank
document and place it in the lower left corner of the page.  Then,
you can approximate the bounding box by just looking at the size of
the object (superpaint lets you see rulers in points instead of
inches).  Something that almost works is to copy the object from the
classic app, then paste it into omnigraffle to be exported as .pdf.
The only problem with this is that I used cmr fonts (from textures)
on most fonts and for some reason these get messed up when I paste
into the OS X apps - specifically, the spaces turn into \Phi's.

I know it sounds lazy, but I was looking for a really easy way to
convert - e.g., graphics select from a .pdf of the typeset document
and cut-n-paste.  This doesn't yield high-res...  I have 100's if not
1000's of figures in old documents, so that's why I am being lazy.
With omnigrafffle, texshop, equation services, and hopefully soon
Kaliedagraph, I can produce nice looking documents...

keith