[OS X TeX] Unicode and TexShop, iTexMac

Cyril Niklaus cynik at gmx.co.uk
Mon Oct 14 15:06:22 CEST 2002

On Monday, October 14, 2002, at 05:07 PM, Jérôme Laurens wrote:
> Please notice that iTeXMac provides support for UTF-8, and all other
> encodings in Mac OS X: there is help available, I hope
Glad to discover that, and thanks for the plist. Now on to the
nitpicking:
with document:
\documentclass[11pt]{article}
\usepackage{ucs}
\usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
\begin{document}
Avad\={a}na \\
Avadāna
\end{document}

I've added the plist, and opened my test file, changed the string
encoding to utf-8, typed a few letters with the extended unicode
keyboard, saved, compiled: all perfect: displays fine both in the
editor and in the preview.
Close the document, reopen it: first problem: the letters are not what
they should be:
ie the "a macron" is now a "ā", and the string encoding claims it's
western-mac. If I compile,  things are balmy though. If I change the
encoding back to utf-8, compilation coughs on : "
! Package ucs Error: Unknown Unicode character 402 = U+0192,
(ucs)                possibly declared in uni-1.def.
(ucs)                Type H to see if it is available with options.

See the ucs package documentation for explanation.
Type  H <return>  for immediate help.

l.6 Avad^^c6^^92
                  ^^c3^^85na
? h
Unicode character 402 = U+0192:
LATIN SMALL LETTER F WITH HOOK
LATIN SMALL LETTER SCRIPT F
Character is not defined in uni-*.def files.
Enter I!<RET> to define the glyph.
"

If I erase the ā and replace it with the "a macron", things again are
fine.
Am I right in guessing that the editor does not pay attention to the
string encoding when opening files, and thus messes them up (at least
visually, since they still compile correctly?), and when restating the
unicode nature of the text, the messed-up diacritics get in the way.
It's bugging me, as the point of using unicode was (to me) to get a
more visually readable text in the first palce, so if my diacritics
TeX-style are to be replaced by other, less readeable characters...

De toute manière, merci pour un programme bien pratique,
Cyril