[OS X TeX] OT: ``beautiful document'' produced w/ TeX

William Adams wadams at atlis.com
Wed Nov 6 19:41:30 CET 2002

This was posted to comp.text.tex, but is so cool I had to share:

--------------begin quoted message---------------------

The book "Life Cast: Behind the Mask" is a beautifully executed book
that was done with TeX because no typesetter could do the layout spec'd
by the graphic designers.

 http://www.beyondword.com/books/lc.html

Photos of life masks are on the right page with descriptive text on the
left. Each page of text is set in the same aspect ratio (even though
the amount of text varies) with no indentation or breaks. Periods end
sentences and bullets separate paragraphs. There is no hyphenation.

I've put a 300dpi scan (350kb) of a page at
 http://www.bluesky.com/mask/mask.gif

Barry Smith wrote some amazing TeX macros to make it work.

Warren Leach
 Cruise Director, Blue Sky Research