[OS X TeX] Drop Caps

Adrian Heathcote adrian.heathcote at philosophy.usyd.edu.au
Tue Nov 26 02:17:44 CET 2002

Hi All

An update.

Michel Bovani was kind enough to forward the email on to Daniel Filipo
and this is what he replied:

Sorry, Adrian this is not true: your (very reasonable) wish is already
fulfilled ;-) if you use pdfLaTeX, \LettrineFontEPS accepts graphics in
any format of image understood by pdfTeX (png, pdf, jpeg...).

Have a look at the latest documentation (demo.tex and demo.pdf) on CTAN:
version 1.4, 2002/10/26 (this version corrects a bug when \lettrine is
used in an abstract environment or alike, you should upgrade ;-).

It isn't clear from the documentation that to use it with pdftex you
simply leave off the suffix: so if you have W.eps and W.pdf in the
correct directories you simply use

\renewcommand{\LettrineFont}{\LettrineFontEPS}

in the preamble

and then

\lettrine{W}{}

in the text. (Not W.pdf)

I also did not have the problem with this release reported by Bob
Kerstetter. (Might that not be a hyphenation problem, Bob?)

HTH

Adrian Heathcote