PDF presentations /again/ [was Re: [OS X TeX] Equation Service]

Jon Guyer jguyer at his.com
Fri Mar 22 21:48:24 CET 2002

At 8:22 AM +1100 3/22/02, Ross Moore wrote:

>Report it on:  http://www.tug.org/twg/tfaa/
>Provide a description and an example (or two).

Good idea (although I don't think it's a TeX-specific problem at all).

>If your logo is built up as a vector graphic, with many elements,
>why don't you just render it as a JPEG at a resolution suitable
>for your presentation slides.
>Then put this .jpg as the logo that repeats on every page.
>
>Besides, the result obtained this way will be useful also for web pages.

And not useful for printing... I know how to work around it; I'm just
disgusted by what's needed to work around it (and particularly
disgusted that the most practical solution is ditching the whole
thing and doing it in PowerPoint). Adobe invented PostScript. Adobe
invented PDF as a derivative of PostScript. Adobe created Acrobat.
The whole point of vector graphics is that they're scalable and
resolution independent. Is there some reason Adobe is unclear on this
concept? I understand that gracefully rendering at everything from
72dpi to 12000dpi is non-trivial, but other apps can handle it and
Adobe of all things is renowned for it.

>Logos can be annoying, since they look like single graphics,
>but are usually constructed from smaller pieces that need high-quality
>rendering to show the desired information.
>Expect to have to spend time getting it looking the best.

Uh, yeah... 8^P. This is where you lose me. I have work to do.
Preview.app and flipping PowerPoint can take these graphics /as is/
and render them beautifully. Wasting time fiddling with every one of
my graphics to work around bugs in Acrobat just ain't going to
happen. If it were just one logo (which is no longer used (it was a
one-year thing)), no big deal, but every figure I generate has this
problem.

>Yes. It's called WaRMreader, built on top of Xy-pic.

Cool, I'll look into it.

--

   Jonathan E. Guyer
   <http://www.his.com/jguyer/>