PDF presentations /again/ [was Re: [OS X TeX] Equation Service]

Maarten Sneep sneep at nat.vu.nl
Fri Mar 22 10:57:28 CET 2002

> I didn't see this in earlier discussions of PDF presentations, which
> seemed to focus on font problems (which I wasn't having): When I've
> tried to do PDF presentations, using both Utopia and something else
> (P4?), my fonts look fine (as long as I use PS variants), but my
> figures look horrible [*]. Anything rendered from PS vector files
> gets scaled and rendered horribly by Acrobat (reader or full, Mac,
> Mac OS X, 'doze, etc.). What should be smooth lines come out all
> clumpy looking. Complex graphics (like a particular logo used here in
> the lab) could actually be seen rendering element-by-element (I think
> because they were using gradients) on every flipping slide.

[snip]

> [*] These are generally Encapsulated PostScript figures generated
> from Igor Pro, either directly or with the LW8 driver. I pretty much
> went through this hell and gave up on it before Mac OS X was a
> credible platform, so perhaps this issue is moot now. Igor Pro is now
> Carbon, so I can print directly to PDF and thus use pdflatex,
> skipping ps->pdf translation altogether. I'll have to try it and see.
> Also, I often decide it's not worth the trouble, but it can be nice
> to be able to label graphs with TeX. Is there a "pdffrag" equivalent
> to psfrag?

I hate to break the news to you: The Igor Pro Carbon doen't (yet)
support output to pdf. You can of course _print_ to pdf, but that produces
a whole page, with the figure on it. As far as encapsulated postscript is
concerned: epstopdf usually does it for me, but yes: Acrobat's display of
line-art is horrible.

I know there are several code samples floating about showing how to produce
full-screen display on X. If only Apple's pdf-routines could use hyperlinks...

But if the aim is just to have a run-through, a one-liner should work.

Take care,

Maarten Sneep

"help" (no quotes) in the body.