[OS X TeX] Re: synchronize laptop and desktop

Philip Neukom pneukom at ProfitAnalytics.com
Wed Mar 27 03:42:36 CET 2002

I think you should have a look at psync.  It is a Perl script that works
like rsync but is capable of handling hfs+ files.  It is a command line
utility that so easy to use that even I have become proficient.

Each day I psync various directories.  You can also psync the complete drive
to create a bootable image on another disk or removable media.

You find psync at http://search.cpan.org/search?dist=MacOSX-File
File to download is MacOSX-File-0.64.tar.gz  This is a collection of file
copy/sync/attribute scripts for OSX.  It requires compiling, but the
instructions were easy enough for me to follow.

There is also rsyncX which is an OSX version of rsync.  I believe it has a
GUI now.  It is located at: http://www.macosxlabs.org/rsyncx/rsyncx.html
I haven't tried this yet since I was happy with psync.

There is also CCC (Carbon Copy Cloner).  It is a GUI disk cloning program.
It uses ditto under the hood as far as I can tell.  CCC was set up as a
backup program but I used it to sync directories.  Since finding psync, I
haven't used it much.  http://www.bombich.com/software/ccc.html

Hope this is helpful.
Philip
--
Philip Neukom, CMC
                        Profit Analytics Inc.

> Subject: synchronize laptop and desktop
> From: "Donal Day" <dbd at virginia.edu>
> Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 11:07:39 -0500
>
> I have TeXShop, tetex, etc  intalled on my desktop. Is there a mechanism
> (script) whereby I can create the same installation on my laptop without
> repeating  the  steps of downloading, installing, etc?
>
> Is there a Unix tools that can make the  disks on both machines
> identical?
>
> Donal Day

"help" (no quotes) in the body.