[OS X TeX] An EndNotes-importable Mac OS X Bib Tool

Bruce D'Arcus bdarcus at mac.com
Wed Jul 3 19:21:22 CEST 2002

On Tuesday,  02, 2002, at 02:15PM, Michael McCracken <michael_mccracken at mac.com> wrote:

>Thanks for the recommendation, Fredrik.
>
>I thought I might mention the link to BibDesk:
>http://www.cs.ucsd.edu/~mmccrack/bibdesk.html
>
>I've heard from a few users who used EndNote to export into bibtex and
>then switched to using just BibDesk, and I don't know of any major
>problems with that. (Does anyone want to enlighten me about what data
>you might lose in exporting into bibtex from EndNote?)

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong because my understanding of BibTeX is not that great, but it seems to me that Endnote data is richer, so that you are forced to map specific Endnote fields into generic BibTeX fields (like "notes").  Also, the BibTeX style included with Endnote sucks (at least for my needs).

When Michael opensources BibDesk, it'd be nice to see it develop into a more general-purpose ref manager (and so to be able to work with non-TeX OS X apps, to import/export Endnote data, etc.).

Bruce

"help" (no quotes) in the body.