[OS X TeX] howto do smart (double) quotes with texshop

ccr-mactex at creutzig.de ccr-mactex at creutzig.de
Tue Jul 2 10:47:16 CEST 2002

Ross Moore <ross at ics.mq.edu.au> writes:

> My point is that you want `` and '' to go into the TeX file,
> otherwise you are risking incompatibilities across platforms.

 No, you don't.  Well, yes you want for English text, but not for
German text.  (Let alone Swiss and French, where you want guillemots
instead of the quotes.)  Point in question: Which editors can be
taught to change their "smart quotes" in accordance with the current
language?  (You want that set anyway, for spell checking.)  For
EMacs, you can set TeX-open-quote and TeX-close-quote to the strings
you want, but I'm not sure if you can make this depend on the current
language.  Then, whether you want "`..."' or \glqq{}...\grqq{} is a
matter of taste.

--
    +--+
   +--+|
   |+-|+            Christopher Creutzig (ccr at mupad.de)
   +--+                     Tel.: 05251-60-5525

"help" (no quotes) in the body.