[OS X TeX] xmltex with Gerben Wierda's distribution?

Gerben Wierda Sherlock at rna.nl
Tue Jul 23 13:51:46 CEST 2002

On Tuesday, July 23, 2002, at 06:30 , Eric Gillespie wrote:

> I recently installed TeX via Gerben's i-Installer, and i notice
> that it includes the pdfxmltex command, but it doesn't seem to
> work.  Note that i have tried and failed to get xmltex working
> before, on a Debian GNU/Linux system.  Does anyone know what's
> wrong, and how to get it working?
>
> 0 ~% pdfxmltex test.fo
> fmtutil: no info for format `pdfxmltex'.
> This is pdfTeX, Version 3.14159-1.00b-pretest-20020211 (Web2C 7.3.7x)
> kpathsea: Running mktexfmt  pdfxmltex.fmt
> fmtutil: no info for format `pdfxmltex'.
> I can't find the format file `pdfxmltex.fmt'!
>
> Thanks in advance.

This probably happens because I ship the TeX Live binaries with a teTeX
texmf tree. It also seems that pdfxmltex has no entry in fmtutil.cnf,
but that is of secondary importance.

I normally wait for something like this to come up. If possible, I then
add the support stuff to my own texmf.macosx tree (for instance, I do
support a few packages that have licenses that make teTeX and sometimes
TeX Live not support them, I am a bit less strict in this, I follow the
spirit, not the letter of licenses: if the license allows everybody to
download and use it for free but doesn't explicitely allow people to
distribute it I ship it anyway because I act as your proxy...).

So, how to get support for this? Tell me what is needed for support,
where to get it, and I will try to include it.

Another way is to look for the support files yourself and install them
in texmf.local. You are at least spared the compilation of the
program....

"help" (no quotes) in the body.