[OS X TeX] Plain TeX and OS X [slightly OT]

David Oliver daoliver at swva.net
Fri Jul 26 17:31:34 CEST 2002

The move to OS X has, as a side effect, made it clear how untilities (such
as graphicx) are predominently constructed around LaTeX.

I am primarily a Plain TeX writer because I use a set of page design and
layout formats I have constructed that are much richer than the canned
formats in LaTeX---and it looks to me a daunting task to attempt to
implement them in LaTeX by over-riding the LaTeX formats. Yet, using LaTeX
would be attractive in allowing one to take advantage of the greater set of
utilities and tools unrelated to format that have been constructed for this
implementation and are not available to Plain TeX.

I would be interested in hearing from Plain TeX writers who are in a similar
situation to my own: in regard to (a) any successful attempts to over-ride
LaTeX's page design formats and (b) successes and problems in getting LaTeX
based tools to work with Plain TeX.

Thank you,

David Oliver

"help" (no quotes) in the body.