[Mac OS X TeX] Excalibur and TeXShop '.tex' files

Nicholas Riley njriley at uiuc.edu
Tue Jan 15 21:44:39 CET 2002

On Tue, Jan 15, 2002 at 03:30:15PM -0500, Rick Zaccone wrote:
> >I have used 'FileTyper' to change to 'TEXT', but still can't drag and drop,
> >although I can open through Excalibur. Actually, the icon doesn't even
> >highlight. It just ignores the file. Actually, I get this quite a lot with
> >OS X in general. Any ideas?
>
> I get quite a bit of odd behavior with types too.  (How does OS X map
> extensions to file types?  Why doesn't it just change the type of any
> .txt or .tex file to 'TEXT'?)  This is another reason I've been
> dragging my feet over changing how Excalibur handles file types.  I
> don't think Apple has a grip on this issue yet.

LaunchServices handles this.  OS X supports direct binding between
extensions and applications' file types - there's no intermediate
stage of type/creator the way there was in earlier Mac OS.  Although,
Internet Config still exists so that MIME types can be mapped to and
>from type/creator/extension.  Unfortunately, there's no way of
including MIME type mapping in Info.plist, though this seems like an
obvious enhancement.  You can find out quite a bit about the
application binding behavior from the Info.plist release notes:

<file://localhost/Developer/Documentation/ReleaseNotes/InfoPlist.html>

as well as the appropriate sections of the system overview:

<file://localhost/Developer/Documentation/Essentials/SystemOverview/Finder/The_Handlin_d_Documents.html>

--
=Nicholas Riley <njriley at uiuc.edu> | <http://www.uiuc.edu/ph/www/njriley>
        Pablo Research Group, Department of Computer Science and

"help" (no quotes) in the body.
messages posted by third parties.