[Mac OS X TeX] Italian hyphenation - more problems!

Bruno Voisin Bruno.Voisin at hmg.inpg.fr
Sun Feb 17 15:39:00 CET 2002

> Unfortunately, not everything seems to work properly: when I compile an
> italian latex file, I got the following message in the log file:
> Package babel Warning: No hyphenation patterns were loaded for
> (babel)                the language `Italian'
> (babel)                I will use the patterns loaded for \language=0
> instead.
> Did I do something wrong?
> Did anybody already fixed this problem?

I think this just means the LaTeX format was 'dumped' with Italian
hyphenation turned off.

Go to /Library/teTeX/share/texmf.local/tex/generic/config/, make a copy
of language.dat, create in your home directory a directory
~/Library/texmf/tex/generic/config/ and put the copy there. Then comment
out the line for Italian hyphenation:

%italian
ithyph.tex

Next you must re-'dump' the LaTeX format. I'm not quite sure how to do
this from the command line, but I think running again the
teTeX-installer would do this: I think Gerben's installer reads all
available config files and does all the initializations required.

Hope this helps,

Bruno Voisin

"help" (no quotes) in the body.
messages posted by third parties.