[Mac OS X TeX] How to get teTeX pdf mathematics read by Illustrator X

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Fri Feb 15 08:53:53 CET 2002

> I believe your identification of the problem is correct, namely that the
> characters in question are less than 32.  I confirmed this by copying
> and pasting from Illustrator X into vi.  My question is about the
> solution.  I already have realized that dvipdfm does the mapping in
> question by default (the fonts in question are all CM) and by running
> the dvi through dvipdfm I can get a file that is editable in
> Illustrator, however, I could not get the solution you typed above to
> have any positive effect (modifying
> /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.macosx/pdftex/config/pdftex.cfg to include
> the line "move_chars=2").  This should map the characters below 32 to
> above 128 regardless of the character set size.  When I use this
> command, however, I find that while the remapping does occur (e.g. 0x0b
> is mapped to 0xB4) Illustrator X still does not display the character
> correctly. When I use dvipdfm and open the file in Illustrator X and
> copy the character to a terminal editor the pasteboard contains a 16 bit
> entity, namely 0xc386 which is displayed (correctly) as a Greek alpha
> character in the CMMI10 font. Any ideas as to how to get pdftex to do a

> similar sort of thing? One last thing -- why does Acrobat display the
> equations correctly regardless of which typesetting variation I use?

While Acrobat and Illustrator both use  CoolTypeLib  for handling
fonts; they currently use different versions.

Acrobat 5.05 has the latest, which fixes the "subroutine gaps"
problem that causes pdfTeX documents (prior to v1.00a) to substitute
fonts on printing, despite showing correctly on-screen.

Illustrator 10 does not yet have that fix; so far as I'm aware.
Doubtless there are other differences too.

Hope this helps,

	Ross Moore

> "help" (no quotes) in the body.
> This list is not moderated, and I am not responsible for
> messages posted by third parties.
"help" (no quotes) in the body.
messages posted by third parties.