[Mac OS X TeX] How to get teTeX pdf mathematics read by Illustrator X

Dr. Paul Fons paul-fons at aist.go.jp
Fri Feb 15 06:32:53 CET 2002

On Friday, February 15, 2002, at 02:19  AM, Michel Bovani wrote:

> Le 14/02/02 à 12:47 +0100 Piet van Oostrum a écrit :
>>  >>>>> "Dr. Paul Fons" <paul-fons at aist.go.jp> (PF) writes:
>>
>> PF> I would like to make some slides in Illustrator using mathematics
>> typeset
>> PF> using pdftex (TeXShop). The pdf file looks great in preview as
>> well as with
>> PF> Acrobat, but Illustrator, while able to open the file, does not
>> display
>> PF> some characters (noninclusively specifically greek and minus
>> signs).  The
>> PF> type 1 fonts exist in the system Library folder and Acrobat
>> indicates that
>> PF> they are imbedded as well (CMSY10 and CMMI10).  What is the score
>> here --
>> PF> how can I get Illustrator to read in the typeset mathematics
>> correctly.  It
>> PF> should be added here that Illustrator 9 does apparently read in
>> the file
>> PF> correctly (according to a colleague), but has trouble with
>> printing.
>>
>> This is most probably caused by these characters occupying
>> charactercodes <
>> 32. TeX uses these indeed for Greek characters and the minus sign.
>> MacOS9
>> applications are know to have problems with this encoding. dvips has a
>> special option -G to remap these characters to codes > 128, which by
>> the
>> way will not work with 256-character fonts like Times-Roman or the EC
>> fonts.
>> Als dvipdfm has an option to do this. So I guess you would have to take
>> this route. I am not aware of an easy way to do it with pdftex.
>
> \pdfmovechars = 1 or \pdfmovechars = 2
> 1 : move the 32 lower chars only if the pont have less than 129 chars ,
> 2 : try to move them anyway.
>
> One may use move_chars = 1 or 2 in pdftex.cfg instead.

I believe your identification of the problem is correct, namely that the
characters in question are less than 32.  I confirmed this by copying
and pasting from Illustrator X into vi.  My question is about the
solution.  I already have realized that dvipdfm does the mapping in
question by default (the fonts in question are all CM) and by running
the dvi through dvipdfm I can get a file that is editable in
Illustrator, however, I could not get the solution you typed above to
have any positive effect (modifying
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.macosx/pdftex/config/pdftex.cfg to include
the line "move_chars=2").  This should map the characters below 32 to
above 128 regardless of the character set size.  When I use this
command, however, I find that while the remapping does occur (e.g. 0x0b
is mapped to 0xB4) Illustrator X still does not display the character
correctly. When I use dvipdfm and open the file in Illustrator X and
copy the character to a terminal editor the pasteboard contains a 16 bit
entity, namely 0xc386 which is displayed (correctly) as a Greek alpha
character in the CMMI10 font. Any ideas as to how to get pdftex to do a
similar sort of thing? One last thing -- why does Acrobat display the
equations correctly regardless of which typesetting variation I use?

"help" (no quotes) in the body.
messages posted by third parties.