[Mac OS X TeX] New naming scheme for TeX distributions

Gerben Wierda sherlock at rna.nl
Fri Feb 8 19:19:10 CET 2002

On Friday, February 8, 2002, at 05:44 , Richard Koch wrote:

> Gerben,
>
> This is fine. Is it active now?
> However, I do not understand the message.
>
> First you say that you have retired the name teTeX.dmg. Then you list a
> link
> to TeXLive-teTeX.dmg. Is that retired? (I ask because all later links
> contain teTeX).

The *exact* name teTeX.dmg has been retired.

> Then you list two other links, one to teTeX-teTeX.dmg and one to
> TeX.dmg.
> Finally you write "Links to either of the above and will be the one
> that I am
> using myself for production." That sentence doesn't make sense to me.
>
> Sorry to be dense. I want to have just one link on my site, and I want
> it to point to the "preferred" distribution, that is, the one you run
> yourself.
> What link should I use?

The confusion came with the captial L at the start of the sentences, I
think. Sentences were supposed to start with the ftp://...dmg and go
like this "ftp://...dmg links to foo". 'Links' was meant as a verb not a
noun.

Currently there are two sets of names that all end up pointing to the
same file:

TeX.dmg ->
	TeXLive-teTeX.dmg ->
		TeXLive-20020201-teTeX-texmf-beta-20020129.dmg ->
			TeXLive-20020201-teTeX-texmf-beta-20020129-2002-02-02-19-54-58.dmg

teTeX-teTeX.dmg ->
	teTeX-beta-20020129-teTeX-texmf-beta-20020129.dmg ->
		teTeX-beta-20020129-teTeX-texmf-beta-20020129-2002-02-02-14-56-11.dmg

What you want is TeX.dmg. This will always point to the release I am
using myself.

If people want to be sure they use TeXLive or teTeX for the binaries
they can take the appropriate link instead (either TeXLive-teTeX.dmg or
teTeX-teTeX.dmg)