[Mac OS X TeX] custom format files?

Gerben Wierda sherlock at rna.nl
Thu Feb 21 14:11:45 CET 2002

I'll help:

First, try using the kpsewhich command to find out if a file can be
found:

	kpsewhich hitex.fmt

Secondly, this might have to do with the change from teTeX to TeX Live.
TeX Live does not use symbolic links but shell scripts for alternate
formats because it also has to be able to run from a CD with a file
system without symbolic links. I.e. the latex command now is:

#!/bin/sh
test -f "`kpsewhich latex.fmt`" || fmtutil --byfmt latex
exec tex -fmt=latex ${1+"$@"}

So, you can link to latex, but the use of latex.fmt is hard coded in the
script. Workaround: instead of linking, copy the latex script and edit
it. That is the TeX Live way.

PS. I can immediately think of a cleaner solution and I'll investigate
this and I'll try to get it into TeX Live.

"help" (no quotes) in the body.
messages posted by third parties.