[Mac OS X TeX] Re: Installing LucidaBright family under Mac OS X?!

Arthur Ogawa ogawa at teleport.com
Thu Feb 21 18:28:51 CET 2002

"David M. Wood" wrote:

> I bought [Lucida Bright] several years ago for use under NeXTstep, successfully
> modified
> them for use on Linux, but have no idea what Mac OS X expects to be
> installed?

I am copying this email to the MacOSX-TeX mailing list, where your query
will find better support than I alone am able to give.

I know for sure that Mac OS X will acccept Type 1 fonts installed in the
Classic system folder, which is how most of my Mac OS X fonts are now
(because they are carry-overs from Mac OS Classic). However, things that
worked for NextStep often continue to work for Mac OS X (you are, of
course, already familiar with NextStep fonts).

Under Mac OS Classic, a font should be installed into the System
Folder:Fonts folder in the form of a font suitcase (file type FFIL
containing FOND and NFNT resourses) plus the PostScript version of the
font in a file of type LWFN (effectively the contents of the .pfa file
in POST resources).

You have the fonts in PFA and AFM files. You are looking for

1. A utility to convert PFA to LWFN. CMacTeX, version 3.6 or later, has
a pfa2lwfn in its t1utils tool.

2. A utility to calculate FOND and NFNT resources from the PFA. This is
the part you are missing.

For the latter, I use the commercial product Fontographer for Power Mac.
Note that Fontographer generates AFM, LWFN, and FFIL files; you will
select out only the latter.

Note also that the file name of the LWFN must be coordinated with the
PostScript font name of the particular font. The name of the LWFN file
created by Fontographer should be applied to the LWFN file generated by
pfa2lwfn if the two names are not identical.

Finally, note that when Fontographer opens a font for editing, it
recalculates the hints, so please do not use a LWFN generated by
Fontographer itself: you will lose all the beautiful hints calculated by
Blenda Horn.

Under Mac OS X, there probably is a file format for Type 1 fonts that is
more modern than the FFIL/LWFN format of Mac OS Classic. Unfortunately,
I really know little about this; I wish I did. I don't even know if the
NextStep native format continues to work under Mac OS X.

Also, there is a new standard for fonts, called OpenType, but here again
my information is not good.

Arthur Ogawa/TeX Consultants

"help" (no quotes) in the body.
messages posted by third parties.