[OS X TeX] outlining and TeX

Mark Guzdial guzdial at cc.gatech.edu
Tue Aug 6 17:26:23 CEST 2002

I use OmniOutliner for my major LaTeX writing now.  I tried the emacs
outlining mode, but found that it was too rigid in its definition of
what was the hierarchy of my document.  I sometimes want structure (say,
within a section of text, to reflect the argument I'm making) that
doesn't map onto sections or environments.

I write in OmniOutliner using the outline hierarchy to be anything I
want.  Sometimes I just put a %comment in an outline to represent
something I'm going to put in that section, or sometimes \section
titles.  Text I often put in the notes area of the outline.

I've written an AppleScript to walk the outline and flatten into a long
text and dump it into BBEdit.  I use BBEdit to make all newlines into
returns, then I have another AppleScript for dumping the whole BBedit
document into TeXshop.  Downsides to this process is that it's only one
way: If I make changes in BBEdit or TeXshop, they don't copy back to the
OmniOutliner version.  So far, that's worked okay for my process -- I
use outlining mostly in the initial writing, and I don't mind proofing
and revising in plain LaTeX.

I'd be happy to share my scripts with anyone who wants them.

Mark

On Tuesday, August 6, 2002, at 09:36  AM, Michael Murray wrote:

>> Hi -
>>
>> I've been using Omni's Outliner program lately, and it's a great tool
>> in the conceptual stages of a project - where you are trying to
>> organize ideas, references, schedule, assignments, and so forth. (I' m
>> using it to plan out a new PhD course.) The ability to expand,
>> collapse, organize into tables -- and all this in WYSIWYG -- is
>> extremely useful.
>>
>> Is there a similar capability with some LaTeX packages, or some
>> TeX-oriented tools for OSX? I'm thinking of a LaTeX based coding
>> scheme, with hyperref or some such Acrobat-oriented package, where the
>> PDF version can be encoded to have the expand/collapse, hide/show
>> features?
>>
>> Does anyone know of something related, or a way to link up Outliner
>> with TeX, somehow. (Ultimately, I will need my data to go into a LaTeX
>> file so I can do the usual TeX things with it.)
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> - Hemant
>>

> I think I read somewhere that emacs has a facility to do this via
> something called auctex.
>
> I had a quick look at google and
>
> http://mirrors.sunsite.dk/auctex/www/auctex/doc/
>
> seems to say that auctex does outlining.
>
> Michael
> -- _________________________________________________________
> Assoc/Prof Michael
> Murray                                                   School of Pure
> Mathematics         Fax: 61+ 8 8303
> 3696                                      University of
> Adelaide             Phone: 61+ 8 8303 4174       Australia  5005
> Email: mmurray at maths.adelaide.edu.au             Home Page:
> http://www.maths.adelaide.edu.au/pure/mmurray
> PGP public key:
> http://www.maths.adelaide.edu.au/pure/mmurray/pgp.txt