[Mac OS X TeX] paths & the terminal - command line no longer works

Gary L. Gray gray at engr.psu.edu
Sun Sep 30 02:20:58 CEST 2001

<x-flowed>There has been a lot of discussion lately by Arun Mangalam, Richard
Koch, Gerben Wierda, and others regarding path variables, TeXShop and
teTeX. It seems that this discussion may be relevant to something
that has happened to me since installing Mac OS X 10.1.

It used to be that I could run the Terminal app and tex, latex, and
pdflatex files without trouble from the terminal. This was useful
when I needed to process a .ins or .dtx file or run to run texhash.
Since installing Mac OS X 10.1, this no longer works. For example, I
now get:

[localhost:EMch 012/Exams/Exam 1 - Fall 2001] gray% pdflatex exam1-fa2001.tex
pdflatex: Command not found.

This used to work flawlessly. Clearly it isn't finding pdflatex, but why not?

Does anyone know how to fix this? By the way, I have not installed
XFree86, fink, or anything like that.

Best regards,
--
    Gary L. Gray