[Mac OS X TeX] OS X a nightmare?

rincho kuma rincontek at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 15 00:03:02 CEST 2001

<x-flowed>

Hermant,

You should get OS 10.1 once it's available.
My girlfriend was also  very disappointed with OS X once, but now
she used OS X most of the time on her iMac DV (400).

She is a beta tester and everything is at least 2 or 3 times faster
with 10.1. 10.0 has lots of debug code that was not optimized.

>From: "Hemant K. Bhargava" <hkb at mac.com>
>To: MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu
>Subject: [Mac OS X TeX] OS X a nightmare?
>Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2001 16:43:04 -0400
>
>Hi -
>
>I apologize for sending a generic OS X message to this group, but rest
>assured I'm a devout TeX and Mac user and my motivation is at least in part
>related to (my dilemma of whether to switch to) OSX-TeX. I'm presently very
>happy with my OS9-Alpha-OzTeX combination, and am
>wondering if cMacTeX on OSX is far superior, so much better that it would
>overcome the negatives discussed below.
>
>(Assumption here: cMacTeX is the only TeX available on OS X. correct?)
>
>I installed OS X on my iMac yesterday -- my spare machine, and am I glad I
>started there! From what I can tell so far, it's a nightmare. I'm very
>concerned, based on this, about what will happen to Apple. Will Apple users
>jump ship, with the result that Apple might face dangers of closing down,
>eventually? I hope not!
>
>Specifically, I found OS X to be very slow, inelegant, and clumsy - and too
>gimmicky ... all things that remind one of Windows. I know at least some of
>these things  are customizable and can be fixed. E.g., I removed the
>"animated items in dock" feature, change the multi-colored window buttons
>to a sober graphite, and ensured that a double-click on a folder would open
>in a new window (vs in the same window, as in Windows Explorer).
>
>However, inspite of the limited customization one can make (or at least
>that's what I know so far) the end result is quite inelegant, slow, and
>non-intuitive. I had a wonderful way to organize/customize and use my
>machine, and now I find myself reduced from an expert to a novice.
>
>Lastly, but most importantly, OS X appears to make everything VERY SLOW.
>E.g., resizing a Window has a long time lag in OS X windows; but is
>instantaneous in OS 9, even when I'm in classic mode. Similarly
>applications take forever to open.
>
>Bottomline: am I missing something here, or is this a common experience?
>
>Thanks.
>
>- Hemant

>"help" (no quotes) in the body.
>This list is not moderated, and I am not responsible for
>messages posted by third parties.
"help" (no quotes) in the body.
messages posted by third parties.