[Mac OS X TeX] embedding fonts

Gerben Wierda sherlock at rna.nl
Wed Oct 3 10:27:51 CEST 2001

<x-flowed>On Wednesday, October 3, 2001, at 03:09 , Tom Kiffe wrote:

> Pdftex and dvips only embed the fonts you tell them to embed. Dvips
> reads
> texmf/dvips/config/config.ps and pdftex reads
> texmf/pdftex/config/pdftex.cfg.
> These files tell the respective programs which map files to read. The
> .map
> files map TeX font names (tfm names) to Postscript names and they tell
> dvips and pdftex which fonts to embed. Of course, you need to have the
> actual Postscript fonts installed on your system.

Yes. And the altpdftex (documentation: altpdftex --help) script from my
TeX distribution gives you some finegrained control on the choice of
fonts to use when both PS and METAFONT descriptions are available (it
goes to far to discuss the complexities here).

If someone sends me a TeX file and how pdf out *should* look I'll be
happy to investigate to see if I can get it working or explain what you
have to do to get it working.

Gerben

"help" (no quotes) in the body.
messages posted by third parties.