[Mac OS X TeX] New teTeX.dmg in the works

David R. Morrison drm at cgtp.duke.edu
Fri Oct 12 03:46:51 CEST 2001

On Fri, 12 Oct 2001, Enrico Franconi wrote:

> On October 11, Gerben Wierda writes:
> > Some of you may know of my teTeX distribution. As soon as I receive the
> > 10.1 developer stuff, I will update the current release.
>
> Is there any attempt to join the effort with the fink version
> (Maintainer: Jeffrey Whitaker <jsw at cdc.noaa.gov>)? It seems to me a
> waste of energy to have two distinct and slightly different
> distributions.

Jeff and I have been working on a revision of fink's teTeX which matches
Gerben's, and takes advantage of a number of improvements Gerben has
introduced. Our eventual goal is to construct a system in which users can
install teTeX using either fink or Gerben's installer, and be able to use
that copy with both TeXShop and with other fink programs.

> > I'll have another go at replacing gs6.01 with gs6.50.
>
> With fink I get gs 7.02.

The issue with ghostscript is this: Mac OS X's built-in pdf-display commands,
used by both TeXShop and Preview, do not correctly display the pdf files
produced by gs 7.02.  (You must use Acrobat Reader to view such files.)
However, they do correctly display pdf files produced by gs 6.01.  For
this reason, the upcoming new fink version of teTeX will be accompanied by
a downgraded version of ghostscript until such time as Apple fixes this
problem.

  -- Dave

"help" (no quotes) in the body.
messages posted by third parties.