[Mac OS X TeX] small dots disappear in Quartz

Troy Goodson Troy.D.Goodson at jpl.nasa.gov
Mon Oct 29 23:23:20 CET 2001

<x-flowed>I made a PDF of a plot from Matlab.  I used syntax like plot(x,y,'.')
which means that each point is marked with a little circle and are
not connected by lines.  this plot has thousands of points on it, so
when you look at it there appears be a big blue blob (Matlab's
default plot color is blue).

Open such a PDF in Preview.app and it looks OK because Preview.app
shows scale=1 by default.  Start reducing the scale and you'll see
the problem: after a certain reduction (about 1/4), OS X decides not
to show the dots!  The plot looks empty.

Now, each dot, as an individual becomes invisible at a small scale,
but a large number of dots clustered together are quite visible at
almost all scales.

I think this is a bug.  A big blue blob should scale.  Reduce the
scale and you should get a small blue blob; it should not disappear.

<http://bugreport.apple.com> isn't working right now, but I plan on
submitting this one.  At the same time, I thought the list might be
interested.

Troy.

"help" (no quotes) in the body.
messages posted by third parties.