[Mac OS X TeX] A simple question and a comment

Gary L. Gray gray at engr.psu.edu
Thu May 3 21:07:55 CEST 2001

<x-flowed>On 05/03/2001 at 1:55 PM -0500, Tom Kiffe wrote:

>1) What is the MIME type and creator and type codes for .dmg files?
>I am trying
>to configure IE on OS X to download TeXShop.dmg correctly. All I get right
>now is a SimpleText document.

The type is devi and the Creator is ddsk.

I have had trouble downloading many files with MSIE under Mac OS X.
Though it is not perfect, OmniWeb is much better at downloading files
and seems to let you do other things will it downloads (IE is not
good about this). See:

<http://www.omnigroup.com/products/omniweb/>

>The default installation of teTeX places the teTeX folder in /usr/local/teTeX.
>I placed the teTeX folder in /Local/Library and then did a symlink from
>/Local/Library/teTeX to /usr/local/teTeX. This allows me to access the
>texmf tree from the Finder and I can easy modify any files in this tree with
>BBEdit 6.1. In addition I can use the teTeX texmf tree with CMacTeX and do not
>need a separate separate texmf tree for CMacTeX, saving about 40 MB
>of disk space.
>TeXShop works correctly and I can run teTeX by itself from a Terminal.
>
>If any one is interested I can post the details of what I did and show you how
>to compile and install teTeX from the sources on CTAN. Since pdftex is still
>in development and is being updated regularly it is important to
>have the latest version of pdftex, which means building it yourself
>from the sources. The latest
>version of pdftex dates from 4/17. I don't know which version of pdftex is
>included in the teTeX distribution from TeXShop.

That would be wonderful! Please do give us (detailed :-) )
instructions regarding teTeX, pdftex, and anything else we might find
to be useful. I am still trying to understand TeXShop and CMacTeX
under Mac OS X and have both installed. Disk space isn't really an
issue, but keeping them simultaneously up to date would be great.

Best regards,
--
    Gary L. Gray
    Associate Professor