[lucida] install Lucida Bright OpenType for TeXLive (2024-03-21 release)

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at icloud.com
Sat Mar 23 14:54:31 CET 2024

> On 22 Mar 2024, at 08:49, hf at hongfeng.ch wrote:
>
> I have downloaded the ordered Lucida Bright OpenType font (from TUG), but encountered
> drawback to get it installed to work with TeXLive (I tried the releases of TeXLive dated
> March 20, 2024 and March 21, 2024) by the steps in `INSTALL-sys-unix.txt` and `INSTALL-TeX.txt`,
> anyone installed the font to work successfully? Hints needed.

Hello,

Could you tell more about the problems you are experiencing? Also, which is the platform you're using: Unix, Mac or Windows? Given you mention INSTALL-sys-unix.txt, I imagine Unix, this is just to be sure.

Looking rapidly at INSTALL-sys-unix.txt, the instructions seem rather detailed. The only point which may be problematic is when the instructions tell to unzip the archive; see below.

First you need to decide whether you want to install the fonts for all users of your computer, or just for your account. The file texmf-dist/web2c/texmf.cnf in TeX Live defines two locations:

- TEXMFLOCAL (probably /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local) where you install things for all users.

- TEXMFHOME (probably ~/texmf in your home directory) where you install things for yourself alone.

You can choose either.

Then, when the instructions tell to unzip the archive lucidaot-tex.zip to TEXMFLOCAL say, this assumes that unzipping the archive merges its content with texmf-local. Namely, that lucidaot-tex/doc/fonts/lucidaot goes to texmf-local/doc/fonts/lucidaot, etc.

Depending on your platform, this may not be the case. On the Mac, for example, unzipping lucidaot-tex.zip to TEXMFLOCAL will present a dialog asking whether you want to erase the content of TEXMFLOCAL and replace it by the content of lucidaot-tex.

In that event, you will need to do things manually: unzip lucidaot-tex.zip anywhere, then move:

- lucidaot-tex/doc/fonts/lucidaot to TEXMFLOCAL/doc/fonts/lucidaot;

- lucidaot-tex/fonts/opentype/bh/lucidaot to TEXMFLOCAL/fonts/opentype/bh/lucidaot;

- lucidaot-tex/tex/latex/lucidaot to TEXMFLOCAL/tex/latex/lucidaot;

creating directories whenever necessary.

If you installed things inside TEXMFLOCAL, you need to run "sudo mktexlsr" afterwards. If you installed to TEXMFHOME, that's not necessary.

Finally, once things are installed and working, you may be interested by the lucida-otf LaTeX package

https://ctan.org/pkg/lucida-otf

which simplifies the use of the fonts.

Good luck,

Bruno Voisin