[lucida] PDF font embedding for PDF/A, problem using Type 1 with accented characters

John H Lienhard lienhard at mit.edu
Wed Feb 15 21:42:37 CET 2023

Accented characters (say, \’{e} or é) appear to break pdf/a compliance with Lucida type 1 fonts.  Running the test file below, and then checking with Acrobat preflight shows that pdf/a compliance is lost if I uncomment either line with accents. Preflight states:

“CharSet in subset font is incomplete (contains glyphs that are not listed)”

Without the accented characters, preflight confirms PDF/A-3u.

Any suggestions on how to resolve this?   I am using pdflatex under TeXShop on MacOS.

\DocumentMetadata
{
            pdfstandard = a-3u,
}
\documentclass[letterpaper]{book}
\usepackage{lipsum}
\usepackage[LY1]{fontenc}
\usepackage[expert,vargreek,altbullet,seriftt,LY1]{lucidabr}

\begin{document}
\lipsum[1]

% è é

\end{document}