[lucida] Scaling the Lucida font

R Martinez rm.tech at mac.com
Wed May 4 09:09:08 CEST 2022

Hello all,

I have begun using Lucida and have been using the documents enclosed with the Lucida distribution as my test files.

Here’s a fragment of the source code of one of them. That is the entire code down to the font-scaling command. There is a lot more code, but it is not relevant to my question.

——————Begin source code------------------------------

% lucida-amsmath.tex
% Copyright 2005 TeX Users Group.
%
% This file is based on testmath.tex by the AMS.  Unrestricted
% permission is granted to copy, modify, and extract portions of this file.
%
% This is a documentation file for the lucidabr package, showing
% advanced mathematical and AMS usage for the Lucida fonts.
% http://tug.org/lucida

 \documentclass{article} %Original

%!TEX TS-program = xelatex
% !TEX encoding = UTF-8 Unicode

\pagestyle{headings}

\title{Sample Paper for the \pkg{amsmath} and \pkg{lucidabr} Packages\\
File name: \fn{\jobname.tex}}
\author{\TeX\ Users Group \& American Mathematical Society}
\date{Version 2.1, 28 November 2005}

\setlength\textwidth{375pt}

\usepackage{amsmath,amsthm}

\usepackage{fontspec}
\usepackage{unicode-math}
%
% Slightly reduce size.
\defaultfontfeatures{Scale=.92}

———————End source code——————————————

I am puzzled by the scaling command. I’ve never seen a font scaled.
% Slightly reduce size.
\defaultfontfeatures{Scale=.92}
My question is:

1. Is it necessary to scale the font? If so, why? And if scaling is needed, what are the scaling rules?
2. Is this common with Lucida? Lucida only?

Thanks in advance.

Best wishes,

J. Raúl Martínez