[lucida] Lucida OT equality symbol looks faint in Adobe Acrobat

Kai von Fintel tex at fintel.mailworks.org
Thu Aug 11 16:20:15 CEST 2022

On 11 Aug 2022, at 10:06, Bruno Voisin wrote:

>> On 11 Aug 2022, at 15:19, Kai von Fintel <tex at fintel.mailworks.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks for the confirmation, Bruno. It is indeed a rendering issue
>> that arises with Acrobat and Lucida OT. Other OT fonts (like the TeX
>> Gyre fonts) do not show this. So, I was wondering whether any Lucida
>> OT experts had any thoughts on what might be happening.
>
> What's puzzling is that in your example the issue only arises with =
> from the text font (LucidaBrightOT.otf), not = from the math font
> (LucidaBrightMathOT.otf).
>
> Opening the two fonts in FontForge and looking at the EQUAL glyphs,
> these look exactly the same, except for the presence of additional
> horizontal fat lines made of a bluish cross patterns at vertical
> positions 349 and 615 in the text font. I've no idea what that means,
> whether it's connected to hinting.
>
> I tried to look at the FontForge doc at
> <https://fontforge.org/docs/ui/mainviews/charview.html> , there are
> three such lines visible in an illustration in the Pointer section,
> but I couldn't find any explanation of what these lines are meant to
> be, or even how they are called.

Right, the problem is with the text font =. We’ve worked around it by
either using the math = (coding it as $=$) or using the boldface text =
(\textbf{=}). Neither seems optimal but what workaround ever does?

I have no competence in the internal workings of fonts, so your
discovery doesn’t translate into an obvious fix that I can come up
with.

— Kai.