[lucida] Lucida OT equality symbol looks faint in Adobe Acrobat

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at icloud.com
Wed Aug 10 16:53:52 CEST 2022

> On 10 Aug 2022, at 16:19, Kai von Fintel <tex at fintel.mailworks.org> wrote:
>
> A pdf produced via XeLaTeX from the following minimal tex file (using the lucida-otf support files from CTAN) displays fine in many pdf viewers but in Adobe Acrobat the plain = and its italic version show up faintly or in outline. I attach a screenshot of how it looks in Acrobat.
> This is a mystery to me. Does anybody have an idea of what might be happening?

This looks like an Acrobat rendering issue.

I observe the same here on the Mac. Things are fine in Preview. In Acrobat the display is the same as yours at 200% magnification, but things get right switching to 400%. See the attached screenshot, Acrobat top, Preview bottom.

Increasing the magnification by units of 10, things get right when switching from 210% to 220%.

I don't use Acrobat generally for displaying PDF files, only for manipulating them (extracting pages, combining files, comparing them, adding OCR, etc), so unfortunately I don't have much experience with rendering issues. I tried playing with the settings in Preferences > Page Display > Resolution and Rendering, but didn't notice any effect.

Bruno Voisin