[lucida] Lucida installation problem

David Saunders david at symplectic.demon.co.uk
Fri Aug 4 11:15:58 CEST 2017

On 04/08/17 08:36, Axel E. Retif wrote:
> On 08/04/2017 01:40 AM, David Saunders wrote:
>

>> Can I say, though, that I'm pretty certain there was no earlier
>> version of TeX on this machine, and that my installation of TeX Live
>> yesterday was the first (and only) copy.
>
> Right, but then you installed TeXworks, and as it has a dependency on
> TeXLive ---and the system doesn't know about manually installed
> TeXLive-- the installer (apt, synaptic...) got TeXLive from the
> repositories.
>
> Then, as TUG's TeXLive wasn't in your path at all (as first you set
> the path with i386) and later it was, but at the end of your path, so
> the system used that from the repositories, as Norbert has showed with
> the code you submitted:
>
>>> $ tex testfont
>>> This is TeX, Version 3.14159265 (TeX Live 2015/Debian) (preloaded
>>                                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>> As you see, you are running TeX Live from Debian
> [...]

OK, I see. I've tried putting TeX Live at the begining of PATH, and also
editing /usr/local/texlive/2017/texmf.cnf as suggested by Norbert, but
with no effect.

Here's a strange thing. On the old laptop I was using as a testbed, I
still get the error from pdftex testfont -- but TeXworks happily
compiles lucida-sample.tex, and also all of my Lucida TeX files. I could
live with that. I'll spend a little time trying to see where the
configurations on the two machines differ, in case that suggests any
possibilities to try.

If that doesn't work, I'd be happy to try other suggestions, including a
complete uninstall and reinstall if necessary. Perhaps I don't need TeX
Live at all, if TeXworks comes with its own copy of TeX?

Ultimately, all I really want to do is to produce mathematics in the
form of papers, books and beamer presentations!

Best wishes

David