[lucida] lucida.pfb & lucida.pfm files which I bought originally from the now defunct Y&Y

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at icloud.com
Thu Mar 5 11:06:32 CET 2015

> {C:/Users/User/AppData/Local/MiKTeX/2.9/pdftex/config/pdftex.map}]
> (E:\onedrive\Documents\logaritmen\sprob.aux) )
> Here is how much of TeX's memory you used:
> 1373 strings out of 493921
> 17282 string characters out of 3147286
> 59321 words of memory out of 3010290
> 4712 multiletter control sequences out of 15000+200000
> 5436 words of font info for 17 fonts, out of 3000000 for 9000
> 841 hyphenation exceptions out of 8191
> 28i,4n,24p,360b,115s stack positions out of 5000i,500n,10000p,200000b,50000s
> {C:/Users/User/AppData/Roaming/Mi
> KTeX/2.9/fonts/enc/dvips/ly1/texnansi.enc}
> !pdfTeX error: pdflatex.exe (file lbr.pfb): cannot open Type 1 font file for re
> ading
> ==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!

> {C:/Users/User/AppData/Local/MiKTeX/2.9/pdftex/config/pdftex.map}]
> (E:\onedrive\Documents\logaritmen\sprob.aux) )
> Here is how much of TeX's memory you used:
> 1373 strings out of 493921
> 17282 string characters out of 3147286
> 59321 words of memory out of 3010290
> 4712 multiletter control sequences out of 15000+200000
> 5436 words of font info for 17 fonts, out of 3000000 for 9000
> 841 hyphenation exceptions out of 8191
> 28i,4n,24p,360b,115s stack positions out of 5000i,500n,10000p,200000b,50000s
>
> !pdfTeX error: pdflatex.exe (file hlhr8y): Font hlhr8y at 670 not found
> ==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!

These error occurs at the time pdfTeX tries to include the Lucida PFB font files in its PDF output. For example, with the document I'm currently working on I get

{/usr/local/texlive/2014/texmf-var/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap/pdftex.map}]
[...]
Here is how much of TeX's memory you used:
 11752 strings out of 493109
 166771 string characters out of 6135004
 237898 words of memory out of 5000000
 15007 multiletter control sequences out of 15000+600000
 40939 words of font info for 95 fonts, out of 8000000 for 9000
 1141 hyphenation exceptions out of 8191
 29i,12n,45p,863b,439s stack positions out of 5000i,500n,10000p,200000b,80000s
{/usr/local/texlive/2014/texmf-dist/fonts/enc/dvips/base/8r.enc}</usr/local/t
exlive/texmf-local/fonts/type1/bh/lucida/lbd.pfb></usr/local/texlive/texmf-loca
l/fonts/type1/bh/lucida/lbi.pfb></usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/fonts/type1/bh/
lucida/lbmdo.pfb></usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/fonts/type1/bh/lucida/lbme.pfb
></usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/fonts/type1/bh/lucida/lbmo.pfb></usr/local/tex
live/texmf-local/fonts/type1/bh/lucida/lbmr.pfb></usr/local/texlive/texmf-local
/fonts/type1/bh/lucida/lbms.pfb></usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/fonts/type1/bh/
lucida/lbmsd.pfb></usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/fonts/type1/bh/lucida/lbr.pfb>
</usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/fonts/type1/bh/lucida/lbrsc.pfb>
Output written on decrease.pdf (7 pages, 464055 bytes).

In the first case, the information in your pdftex.map is correct (ie, it includes information for Lucida fonts), but lbr.pfb either can't be found or once found can't be read.

In the second case, the information in pdftex.map is incorrect (since you removed the content of lucidabr.map and lumath.map from it), hence hlhr8y.tfm cannot be linked to lbr.pfb, pdfTeX thinks it's an old-style bitmap font hlhr8y.670pk to be generated on-the-fly from a METAFONT input file hlhr8y.mf which doesn't exist, then crashes.

Hence I think that either:

- The file name database wasn't updated after installation of the PFB font files, or

- The file format of the PFB files was corrupted during installation.

If the first, then the following may help (beware I'm not a Windows nor MikTeX user hence the following is essentially guesses based on information gathered from the web). If the second, then maybe reinstallation may help, but only provided you kept a copy of the original unaltered Y&Y files.

> Map lucidabr-o.map
> Map lumath-o.map
> Map lucidabr.map
> Map lumath.map

The fact that you have lucidabr.map and lumath.map indicates you're using an old setup. A few years back, these two files have been merged into lucida.map (and lucidabr-o.map and lumath-o.map suppressed) when the last release of the Type 1 Lucida fonts was prepared. This probably won't change a thing here, but to be on the safe side I would recommend downloading

http://ctan.org/tex-archive/macros/latex/contrib/psnfssx/lucidabr
http://ctan.org/tex-archive/fonts/psfonts/bh/lucida

and replace the Lucida support files in your setup with the new files (except for the PFB font files, of course). Based on your log, you could alternatively just install the updated setup in your user space at

C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\MiKTeX\2.9\

to take precedence over the obsolete files apparently included in MikTeX at

d:\Program Files\MiKTeX 2.9\

When that is done, I have the impression based on TUG's installation instructions

http://tug.org/store/lucida/README-type1.txt

that on MikTeX two things need to be done:

	initexmf --update-fndb

so that the addition of the PFB font files and support files is registered in MikTeX's file name database, and

	initexmf --mkmaps

so that your edition of updmap.cfg is taken into account and pdftex.map regenerated accordingly.

> In my OLD Y&Y I have found the following lucida.ali file.  But I have not a clue where I would have
> to put this in my file (TDS) system and how to inculde this.  It seems to me that I will also
> need the .ld files (which I have also).  Should I mention it in udpmap.cfg?
>
> Do you think it is enough to place it in  $TEXMF$fonts/type1/bh/lucida/.  Or should I use the map directory?

I know nothing about .ali files, but based on CTAN's lucida package they seem to be a specific form of map files used by VTeX, replacing lucida.map for it and meant to go inside $TEXMF$/fonts/map/vtex/lucida/. Hence for MikTeX it seems irrelevant.

Based on your logs, it seems you're using new-style TFM files like hlhr8y.tfm, not old-style files like lbr.tfm. Hence the following is probably unnecessary. If you want to be on the safe side though, here's what to do:

- Keep lucida-o.map and lumath-o.map, make them known to updmap as before (ie edit updmap.cfg, then run "initexmf --mkmaps").

- Create the required symlinks. Based on <http://www.windows7home.net/how-to-create-symbolic-link-in-windows-7/>, my impression is that you would need, in the Windows command line, to first cd to the directory where the TFM fonts reside, something like

cd C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\MiKTeX\2.9\fonts\tfm\bh\lucida

and then use mklink to create the symlinks, again something like

mklink /d hlcbot8y.tfm lbtbo.tfm
mklink /d hlcbt8y.tfm lbtb.tfm
mklink /d hlcda.tfm lbmad.tfm
mklink /d hlcdim.tfm lbmdi.tfm
mklink /d hlcdima.tfm lbmdo.tfm
mklink /d hlcdm.tfm lbmd.tfm
mklink /d hlcdy.tfm lbmsd.tfm
mklink /d hlcra.tfm lbma.tfm
mklink /d hlcrf8y.tfm lbl.tfm
mklink /d hlcrie8y.tfm lbc.tfm
mklink /d hlcrim.tfm lbmi.tfm
mklink /d hlcrima.tfm lbmo.tfm
mklink /d hlcrin8y.tfm lbki.tfm
mklink /d hlcriw8y.tfm lbh.tfm
mklink /d hlcrm.tfm lbmr.tfm
mklink /d hlcrn8y.tfm lbkr.tfm
mklink /d hlcrot8y.tfm lbto.tfm
mklink /d hlcrt8y.tfm lbtr.tfm
mklink /d hlcrv.tfm lbme.tfm
mklink /d hlcry.tfm lbms.tfm
mklink /d hlhb8y.tfm lbd.tfm
mklink /d hlhbc8y.tfm lbdsc.tfm
mklink /d hlhbi8y.tfm lbdi.tfm
mklink /d hlhr8y.tfm lbr.tfm
mklink /d hlhrc8y.tfm lbrsc.tfm
mklink /d hlhri8y.tfm lbi.tfm
mklink /d hlhro8y.tfm lbsl.tfm
mklink /d hlsb8y.tfm lsd.tfm
mklink /d hlsbi8y.tfm lsdi.tfm
mklink /d hlsbot8y.tfm lstbo.tfm
mklink /d hlsbt8y.tfm lstb.tfm
mklink /d hlsr8y.tfm lsr.tfm
mklink /d hlsri8y.tfm lsi.tfm
mklink /d hlsrot8y.tfm lsto.tfm
mklink /d hlsrt8y.tfm lstr.tfm
mklink /d hlsu8y.tfm lsb.tfm
mklink /d hlsui8y.tfm lsbi.tfm
mklink /d hlxb8y.tfm lfd.tfm
mklink /d hlxbi8y.tfm lfdi.tfm
mklink /d hlxr8y.tfm lfr.tfm
mklink /d hlxri8y.tfm lfi.tfm

> (E:\onedrive\Documents\logaritmen\sprob.tex

So it seems you're processing directly a document residing on the cloud in your OneDrive space? That is probably totally transparent, as is iCloud storage on the Mac, but to be sure you could try to copy the document to your local drive, then see what happens with pdfTeX.

That's probably as far as my help can go. Hoping it will work,

Bruno Voisin

PS Beware the list is set so that answers are sent to the original poster only, not to the whole list (so your answer was sent only to me, which I think was unintended). To make sure answers go to the list, you need to use Reply-All, not just Reply. I've been fooled myself by this a number of times already.