[lucida] Missing character

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at icloud.com
Thu Jan 1 20:37:14 CET 2015

> Le 1 janv. 2015 à 11:21, Odd Arild Olsen <oao at oao.no> a écrit :
>
> The only difference between the test files t1.tex and t2.tex is the exponent.
> For t1.tex I get the missing character message in the log file, for t2.tex not, see t1.log and t2.log.

Thanks for the log files, they help clarify the issue.

So, if I understand correctly, the missing character message is something that shows up in the log files, possibly also in the console output, but in any case the PDF output is correct and you're just wondering whether you should pay attention to the message, right?

If so, then I think no, the message is only a warning and the issue harmless. Before using a font in a given size it seems fontspec or unicode-math checks for glyph coverage, and for some reason the check fails for Lucida Bright Math OT in scriptscriptsize.

Attached are the log and pdf files on my setup. My configuration is MacTeX 2014 (hence TeX Live 2014) with

XeTeX 3.14159265-2.6-0.99991 (TeX Live 2014)
kpathsea version 6.2.0
Copyright 2014 SIL International, Jonathan Kew and Khaled Hosny.
There is NO warranty.  Redistribution of this software is
covered by the terms of both the XeTeX copyright and
the Lesser GNU General Public License.
For more information about these matters, see the file
named COPYING and the XeTeX source.
Primary author of XeTeX: Jonathan Kew.
Compiled with ICU version 53.1; using 53.1
Compiled with zlib version 1.2.8; using 1.2.8
Compiled with FreeType2 version 2.5.3; using 2.5.3
Compiled with Graphite2 version 1.2.4; using 1.2.4
Compiled with HarfBuzz version 0.9.28; using 0.9.28
Compiled with libpng version 1.6.10; using 1.6.10
Compiled with poppler version 0.25.2
Using Mac OS X Core Text and Cocoa frameworks

I'm not getting the error message in t1.log. This looks like a bug in your versions of fontspec and/or unicode-math, which are from TeX Live 2013, and if so the bug has been corrected in TeX Live 2014.

Other than that, the differences are in your Ubuntu XeTeX, which loads fonts with fontconfig, while my Mac XeTeX uses Core Text. Also, the fonts are loaded on your setup with the deprecated /ICU font option, replaced now by /OT. I don't think any of these differences plays a role here, though.

Can you update your TeX Live installation to 2014? fontspec and unicode-math are still beta software, especially unicode-math, hence it's important to keep them as up-to-date as possible.

Bruno Voisin