[lucida] Missing character

Odd Arild Olsen oao at oao.no
Thu Jan 1 11:21:03 CET 2015

On Wednesday 31. December 2014 20.18.47 Bruno Voisin wrote:
> > Le 31 déc. 2014 à 10:10, Odd Arild Olsen <oao at oao.no> a écrit :
> >
> > I get a
> >
> > Missing character: There is no ƀ in font Lucida Bright Math
> > OT/OT:script=math;l
> >
> > when I xelatex this file:
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > \begin{document}
> > \[1^{1^1}\]
> > \end{document}
> >
> > The cause of the problem is the 2nd exponent.
>
> Here (XeLaTeX on OS X 10.10 with Lucida OT installed as system font) no
> problem arises in either console or PDF output.
>
> The error message you mention evokes an encoding problem, unrelated with the
> math exponents, a non-ASCII character (ƀ) which you inadvertently typed but
> which wasn't displayed in your text editor.
>
> Did you check that your editor was configured to read, edit and save your
> file in UTF-8 encoding? This is required by XeTeX, it won't work with other
> encodings.
>
> For diagnostic purposes, could you either send the file as an attachment, or
> switch to non-HTML mail before composing (whichever non-ASCII character
> there may have been in your input file seems to have been erased when
> pasting the file content in HTML mail)?
>
> Bruno Voisin

Thank you,

The example file only uses ascii characters and therefore no utf-8 characters should
be present, I cannot see any UTF-8 bytes in the the attached hex-dumps t1.png t2.png.
I use plain Emacs.

The only difference between the test files t1.tex and t2.tex is the exponent.
For t1.tex I get the missing character message in the log file, for t2.tex not, see t1.log
and t2.log.

I usually use many utf-8 characters in my tex documents, the pdf outputs are fine, as
for the t1.tex example, but several missing character messages can be found in the log
files. For this example I stripped away everything that did not provoke this error.

The generated pdf-files also only reference the Lucida Bright OT and Lucida Bright
Math OT fonts, so no font substitution occurs.

OAO