[lucida] Lucida OpenType installation problem

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at icloud.com
Wed Oct 15 12:45:02 CEST 2014

> Le 13 oct. 2014 à 23:40, Robert Almgren <almgren at cims.nyu.edu> a écrit :
>
> Thanks very much. I will keep my fingers crossed!

After much trial-and-error, and help from the tex-live list, it seems the following works.

Create a file LucidaBrightOT.fontspec containing

\defaultfontfeatures[LucidaBrightOT]
  {
   UprightFont = [LucidaBrightOT],
   BoldFont = [LucidaBrightOT-Demi],
   ItalicFont = [LucidaBrightOT-Italic],
   BoldItalicFont = [LucidaBrightOT-DemiItalic]
  }

a file LucidaSansOT.fontspec containing

 \defaultfontfeatures[LucidaSansOT]
  {
   UprightFont = [LucidaSansOT],
   BoldFont = [LucidaSansOT-Demi],
   ItalicFont = [LucidaSansOT-Italic],
   BoldItalicFont = [LucidaSansOT-DemiItalic]
  }

and a file LucidaSansTypewriterOT.fontspec containing

\defaultfontfeatures[LucidaSansTypewriterOT]
  {
   UprightFont = [LucidaSansTypewriterOT],
   BoldFont = [LucidaSansTypewriterOT-Bold],
   ItalicFont = [LucidaSansTypewriterOT-Oblique],
   BoldItalicFont = [LucidaSansTypewriterOT-BoldOblique]
  }

Then you should be able to call the Lucida fonts with the same calls as when they are installed at the OS level, that is

\setmainfont{Lucida Bright OT}
\setsansfont{Lucida Sans OT}
\setmonofont{Lucida Sans Typewriter OT}

It appears that using brackets for UprightFont etc. is required when the font name is used as as shorthand. In other words, it seems that

\defaultfontfeatures[mylucida]
  {
   Extension=.otf,
   UprightFont = LucidaBrightOT,
   BoldFont = LucidaBrightOT-Demi,
   ItalicFont = LucidaBrightOT-Italic,
   BoldItalicFont = LucidaBrightOT-DemiItalic
  }

\defaultfontfeatures[\rmfamily]
  {
   Extension=.otf,
   UprightFont = LucidaBrightOT,
   BoldFont = LucidaBrightOT-Demi,
   ItalicFont = LucidaBrightOT-Italic,
   BoldItalicFont = LucidaBrightOT-DemiItalic
  }

both work, but when using LucidaBrightOT, which is also the file name, as the font shorthand, then fontspec gets confused and you need to use brackets to specify that file names are used, as in

\defaultfontfeatures[LucidaBrightOT]
  {
   UprightFont = [LucidaBrightOT],
   BoldFont = [LucidaBrightOT-Demi],
   ItalicFont = [LucidaBrightOT-Italic],
   BoldItalicFont = [LucidaBrightOT-DemiItalic]
  }

This is all a tentative analysis, but so far it's the best I've got.

Bruno