[lucida] Lucida OpenType installation problem

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at me.com
Fri Jul 4 01:27:59 CEST 2014

Le 4 juil. 2014 à 00:43, Karl Berry <karl at freefriends.org> a écrit :

>    Does that mean that it would be enough to say simply
>   \setmainfont{LucidaBrightOT.otf}
>   \setsansfont{LucidaSansOT.otf}
>   \setmonofont{LucidaSansTypewriterOT.otf}
>   \setmathfont{LucidaBrightMathOT.otf}
>
> Yes, that is my understanding of what will work, approximately speaking,
> once the .fontspec file is created.  I haven't delved into it in detail,
> though.
>
> (In principle, it seems to me it could even know what the sans/mono/math
> fonts are and set them too, but that's probably asking too much.)
>
>    I don't see any .fontspec file in the existing configuration.
>
> Right, creating that is what needs to be done :).

To get things started, here's a failed attempt. This is for Mac OS X, with fonts installed in OS directories and loaded by font name.

Namely, the attached LucidaBrightOT.fontspec contains, per the recommendations of the fontspec doc section 6.2:

	\defaultfontfeatures[Lucida Bright OT]
	  {
	   BoldFont=Lucida Bright OT Demibold,
	   ItalicFont=Lucida Bright OT Italic,
	   BoldItalicFont=Lucida Bright OT Demibold Italic
	  }

Then, calling

	\setmainfont{Lucida Bright OT}

returns

	ex))) (./lucidabrightot.fontspec)

	!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
	!
	./Chashechkin-All.tex:16: LaTeX error: "kernel/key-unknown"
	!
	! The key 'fontspec/BoldFont' is unknown and is being ignored.
	!
	! See the LaTeX3 documentation for further information.
	!
	! For immediate help type H <return>.

	l.16   \setmainfont{Lucida Bright OT}

In another list, Will Robertson (the creator of fontspec) wrote

> If it’s any consolation, in the new version of fontspec you can create a file in your texmf tree called “LucidaBrightOT.fontspec” which contains:
>
> \defaultfontfeatures[LucidaBrightOT]{BoldFont=Lucida Bright OT Demibold}
>
> and you can set up the default to behaviour as you’d expect.

and the above seems to conform to that syntax, so I've no idea what's going wrong.

When things finally work out, then this would have to be adapted so as to work in all configurations: fonts loaded by font or file name, installed at the OS level or in the TeX Live directories only.

Unfortunately, I won't have any time to perform further testing, so this is only to provide a starting point for people to play with if interested.

Bruno Voisin