[lucida] Problems with Installation

Thomas Quaritsch quaritsch at ist.tugraz.at
Thu Jul 25 09:53:59 CEST 2013

On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 9:34 AM, Bruno Voisin <bvoisin at me.com> wrote:

> So it appears the fonts are not installed at all: all you have in
> /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local is the bunch of empty directories created by
> MacTeX on install.
>
> What probably went wrong is item 3) of the instructions at <
> http://tug.org/store/lucida/README-type1.txt>:
>
> 3) unzip the archive as retrieved.  It unpacks into subdirectories
>    fonts/, tex/, and so on.  These directories will probably already
>    exist if you already have a local texmf tree; that's ok.  You must
>    use an unzip program or settings which does *not* create any
>    top-level directory of its own (such as "lucida-type1/"), but just
>    unpacks what is in the zip file.
>
> As explained in one of my earlier messages, I don't do this myself, I
> unpack the archive to the Desktop then move all the subdirectories to place
> manually.
>
> I don't know how to do what's described in item 3). I just tried with a
> test file something which would become in your case
>
>         sudo unzip lucida-type1.zip -d /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local
>
> but what it only did is create a subdir lucida-type1 inside
> /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local, not merge its included directory hierarchy
> inside that already existing in /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local.
>
> It must certainly be a matter of using the correct invocation of unzip,
> because I know that people like Dich Koch do this on the Mac. But I can't
> find the message where he explained this to me a few years back, in the
> tens of thousands of messages in my TeX-related mailboxes.

I actually did this two days ago, and it worked for me like a charm with a
simple unzip (I found the following still in my terminal scrollback buffer)

tq at tquarits /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local % sudo unzip
~/Downloads/lucida-complete.zip
Password:
Archive:  /Users/tq/Downloads/lucida-complete.zip
   creating: doc/
   creating: doc/fonts/
   creating: doc/fonts/lucida/
  inflating: doc/fonts/lucida/readme.lucida
  inflating: doc/fonts/lucida/lucida.txt
   creating: doc/fonts/lucidabr/
  inflating: doc/fonts/lucidabr/lucida-license-individual.txt
  inflating: doc/fonts/lucidabr/lucida-amsmath.tex
  inflating: doc/fonts/lucidabr/lucida-amsmath.pdf
  inflating: doc/fonts/lucidabr/lucida-sample.pdf
  inflating: doc/fonts/lucidabr/lucida-license-site.txt
  inflating: doc/fonts/lucidabr/lucida-sample.tex
  inflating: doc/fonts/lucidabr/lucida-oneline-samples.tex
   creating: fonts/map/
   creating: fonts/map/vtex/
   creating: fonts/map/vtex/lucida/
  inflating: fonts/map/vtex/lucida/lucida.ali

Maybe it depends on the unzip version, mine is the following

tq at tquarits ~ % unzip -v
UnZip 5.52 of 28 February 2005, by Info-ZIP.  Maintained by C. Spieler.
 Send
bug reports using http://www.info-zip.org/zip-bug.html; see README for
details.
Compiled with gcc 4.2.1 (Apple Inc. build 5646) for Unix on Jan 26 2010.

regards,
Thomas
--
Dipl.-Ing. Thomas Quaritsch