[lucida] Problems with Installation

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at me.com
Thu Jul 25 14:33:13 CEST 2013

Le 25 juil. 2013 à 09:34, Bruno Voisin <bvoisin at me.com> a écrit :

> I don't know how to do what's described in item 3). I just tried with a test file something which would become in your case
>
> 	sudo unzip lucida-type1.zip -d /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local
>
> but what it only did is create a subdir lucida-type1 inside /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local, not merge its included directory hierarchy inside that already existing in /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local.
>
> It must certainly be a matter of using the correct invocation of unzip, because I know that people like Dich Koch do this on the Mac. But I can't find the message where he explained this to me a few years back, in the tens of thousands of messages in my TeX-related mailboxes.

After finally studying Apple Mail's help to find out how to perform multi-criteria searches in the Mail search box, I got hold of the message where Dick Koch explained how he's doing such things. This was a private message to Adam Maxwell (of TeX Live Utility and BibDesk fame) and me sent on August 13, 2009, in which Dick wrote (this was about the difficulty for the non-techie user to use mkdir, cp, mv etc. to modify anything in texmf-local, as opposed to usual drag-and-drop operations in the Finder):

> Here's the strategy I recently started using. I'll explain with a specific example. A user works with Hieroglyphics on the Mac, using the "Hiero" package. The necessary files are available at
>
> 	http://www.filipvervloesem.be/hierotexosx/Site/How_to_install_HieroTeX_on_Mac_OS_X.html
>
> in two tar.bz2 files, but unfortunately these files expand to a texmf tree with the wrong structure for TeX Live. The above web site explains how to move various pieces into different portions of /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local using the sorts of commands you list. So we have exactly the problem you describe.
>
> Instead, I told the user to construct a folder named Hiero on his desktop, and unpack the two files in this folder. That produced an ill-formed texmf tree inside Hiero. Then I told the user to move the various pieces to the correct spots in Hiero/texmf. This was done using exactly the "drag-and-drop" operations you mention, and required creating a couple of extra folders, moving files, and erasing a few files. In the end, he had a texmf tree understandable to TeX Live. Note that he only had to deal with Hiero files and folders rather than working around other files and folders in /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local.
>
> Now the key point. I told him to MERGE this tree into /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local using the following commands:
>
> 	cd
> 	cd Desktop/Hiero/texmf
> 	sudo cp -Rv * /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/
>
> Done. This avoids the problem of merging files into folders which already contain other files, which is messy and error prone. Instead, the merge is automatic.
>
> I'm not saying users should remember this command. But when we give "clear and systematic instructions," this one is as easy to give as "sudo mktexlsr".

So this involves cp, not unzip as I erroneously remembered. Slightly adapted, that would become:

- Save lucida-type1.zip somewhere, say to ~/Downloads which is the default or ~/Desktop.

- Double-click on it to uncompress.

- In Terminal, move to the location of the uncompressed directory, say

	cd ~/Downloads/lucida-type1

or similar with ~/Desktop.

- Then copy everything in one go to /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local by using

	cp -R * /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local

- All the files are now at the appropriate places and you just have to run

	sudo mktexlsr
	sudo updmap-sys --enable Map lucida.map

The only (very) minor drawback with this method is that the copied files lose their original modification times. I tried using "cp -Rp" instead of just "cp -R", to preserve those attributes, but the result is that the whole directory tree leading to the copied files inside /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local has its ownership changed from root:wheel to <username>:staff, making it writeable by you without need of sudo; in my experience this leaves the possibility of the user's inadvertently modifying files which are not supposed to be modified, whereas the need to sudo adds a protection of the user against themselves.

This is all suboptimal, and being able to use unzip all the way would certainly be better, but here I must confess my ignorance.

Hope this helps though,

Bruno Voisin