[lucida] alle jahre wieder --- suggestions to improve http://tug.org/store/lucida/README-type1.txt

ivo welch ivo.welch at anderson.ucla.edu
Tue Jul 23 20:07:06 CEST 2013

I just upgraded to texlive 2013, and of course the lucida fonts have
to be reinstalled again.   grrr....  and, of course, I am screwing up
something again.   super-grrr....

I am running under mint linux.  I keep all my local tex in
~/texmf-local and then link it to become
/usr/local/texlive/texmf-local after a new texlive installation, so
$ ls /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/
bchb8a.otf   bchr8a.otf   doc/    fonts.unused/  source/
bchbi8a.otf  bchri8a.otf  fonts/  ls-R           tex/

I am trying to follow the http://tug.org/store/lucida/README-type1.txt
now.  Given that this does not work for me, I have a couple of
suggestions how to make it better.

steps 1-3.  presumably, I have already done this in my 2012 installation.

in the document, I would conclude with something like: under linux,
"ls $TEXMFLOCAL/fonts/type1/bh/lucida/" should now show 83 files.

step 4.  not sure how to check that this was done right.

step 5.  I would conclude with
    grep -i luc `kpsewhich updmap.cfg`
should now show
   Map lucida.map

step6.  I would conclude with a few more checks here, such as
    $ kpsewhich lbma.pfb
should now show $TEXMFLOCAL/fonts/type1/bh/lucida/lbma.pfb

step7.  not needed

as for me, pdflatex is telling me

(/usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/tex/latex/lucida/t1hlcw.fd)
(/usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/tex/latex/lucida/t1hlcf.fd) [7]
(./lucida-type1.aux)
kpathsea: Running mktexpk --mfmode / --bdpi 600 --mag 1+18/600 --dpi 618 hlcrf8r
mktexpk: don't know how to create bitmap font for hlcrf8r.
mktexpk: perhaps hlcrf8r is missing from the map file.
kpathsea: Appending font creation commands to missfont.log.
 )
!pdfTeX error: pdflatex (file hlcrf8r): Font hlcrf8r at 618 not found
 ==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!

the "potential problems" section is great, except my step 5 check
works fine.  It indeed shows the Map.

any idea where I screwed up this time?

regards,

/iaw