[lucida] alle jahre wieder --- suggestions to improve http://tug.org/store/lucida/README-type1.txt

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Tue Jul 23 22:46:48 CEST 2013

On 2013-07-23 at 11:07:06 -0700, ivo welch wrote:

 > I just upgraded to texlive 2013, and of course the lucida fonts have
 > to be reinstalled again.   grrr....  and, of course, I am screwing up
 > something again.   super-grrr....

Hi Ivo,
if

 grep -i luc `kpsewhich updmap.cfg`

returns

   Map lucida.map

and pdftex doesn't find the map entries, I suppose that you have to
run updmap[-sys] in order to create the actual .map files.  pdftex
needs pdftex.map, dvips needs psfonts.map, but updmap.cfg is only the
config file for updmap itself.  It's not read by any TeX engine.

BTW, when running updmap[-sys] you'll be pointed to a transcript file.
It's quite useful.

 > I am running under mint linux.  I keep all my local tex in
 > ~/texmf-local and then link it to become
 > /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local after a new texlive installation,
 > [...]

...in order to protect your personal files from being overwritten by
the installer?  This will not happen.  The installer *never* touches
$TEXMFLOCAL in any way.  At least if the directory exists already.

Only if it *doesn't* exist it's created and filled up with a bunch of
empty directories in order to point users where to put their files.
Since you always removed the symlink to $TEXMFLOCAL before installing
TeX Live, it's clear that you got the impression that the installer
doesn't honor it's content.  It does, if the directory exists.

You can safely maintain your files in /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local.
Otherwise the directory structure

  /usr/local/texlive/2010
  /usr/local/texlive/2011
  /usr/local/texlive/2012
  /usr/local/texlive/2013
  /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local

would be pointless.

Regards,
  Reinhard

 > so
 > $ ls /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/
 > bchb8a.otf   bchr8a.otf   doc/    fonts.unused/  source/
 > bchbi8a.otf  bchri8a.otf  fonts/  ls-R           tex/
 >

 > I am trying to follow the http://tug.org/store/lucida/README-type1.txt
 > now.  Given that this does not work for me, I have a couple of
 > suggestions how to make it better.
 >

 > steps 1-3.  presumably, I have already done this in my 2012 installation.
 >
 > in the document, I would conclude with something like: under linux,
 > "ls $TEXMFLOCAL/fonts/type1/bh/lucida/" should now show 83 files.
 >
 > step 4.  not sure how to check that this was done right.
 >
 > step 5.  I would conclude with
 >     grep -i luc `kpsewhich updmap.cfg`
 > should now show
 >    Map lucida.map
 >

 > step6.  I would conclude with a few more checks here, such as
 >     $ kpsewhich lbma.pfb
 > should now show $TEXMFLOCAL/fonts/type1/bh/lucida/lbma.pfb
 >

 > step7.  not needed
 >

 > as for me, pdflatex is telling me

 > (/usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/tex/latex/lucida/t1hlcw.fd)
 > (/usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/tex/latex/lucida/t1hlcf.fd) [7]
 > (./lucida-type1.aux)
 > kpathsea: Running mktexpk --mfmode / --bdpi 600 --mag 1+18/600 --dpi 618 hlcrf8r
 > mktexpk: don't know how to create bitmap font for hlcrf8r.
 > mktexpk: perhaps hlcrf8r is missing from the map file.
 > kpathsea: Appending font creation commands to missfont.log.
 >  )
 > !pdfTeX error: pdflatex (file hlcrf8r): Font hlcrf8r at 618 not found
 >  ==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!
 >

 > the "potential problems" section is great, except my step 5 check
 > works fine.  It indeed shows the Map.
 >
 > any idea where I screwed up this time?
 >
 > regards,
 >
 > /iaw