[lucida] upgrading + installation

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at me.com
Mon Feb 11 08:44:27 CET 2013

Hi Norbert,

> Is it really so unclear? The basic idea is simply that all and only the
> information/data from one tree is collected in the tree's updmap.cfg,
> a clear separation of sources.

Sorry: this is not what I meant. The new system is indeed more flexible and more natural for the novice user (which, being a Mac addict for so many years, I cannot but applause to). But on the other hand for the experienced user, who had already a customized updmap setup, they have to double-check to verify that their customizations work as intended with the new system (or alter them if needed).

To put it another way: previously, as far as I remember, there were only one or two locations to check for files updmap.cfg, and if I remember correctly only the updmap.cfg having precedence was read, the others being ignored. updmap-local.cfg was a whole different story, and its effect was added (through "sudo tlmgr generate updmap --rebuild-sys") to that updmap.cfg.

Now there are all the locations mentioned in "updmap --help" to check, namely

  TEXMFCONFIG    $HOME/.texliveYYYY/texmf-config/web2c/updmap.cfg
  TEXMFVAR       $HOME/.texliveYYYY/texmf-var/web2c/updmap.cfg
  TEXMFHOME      $HOME/texmf/web2c/updmap.cfg
  TEXMFSYSCONFIG $TEXLIVE/YYYY/texmf-config/web2c/updmap.cfg
  TEXMFSYSVAR    $TEXLIVE/YYYY/texmf-var/web2c/updmap.cfg
  TEXMFLOCAL     $TEXLIVE/texmf-local/web2c/updmap.cfg
  TEXMFMAIN      $TEXLIVE/YYYY/texmf/web2c/updmap.cfg
  TEXMFDIST      $TEXLIVE/YYYY/texmf-dist/web2c/updmap.cfg

and all these files work more or less like updmap-local.cfg did: all are taken into account, read in this order and with the first occurrence of a font definition (such as "Map lucida.map") taking precedence over any later occurrence. That's what I meant when I said that the effect of the updmap.cfg is now cumulative.

So you have to be extra careful when adapting an existing setup, to check that the updmap.cfg you're looking at is indeed the one that matters for a given font.

That said, for me like for most users, I think, there are not that many updmap.cfg:

eres3mcbv172:~ brunovoisin$ kpsewhich --all updmap.cfg
/usr/local/texlive/2012/texmf/web2c/updmap.cfg
/usr/local/texlive/2012/../texmf-local/web2c/updmap.cfg
/usr/local/texlive/2012/texmf-dist/web2c/updmap.cfg

so there is no real problem.

So, there is nothing unclear here: I just meant that somebody who used a customized updmap.cfg before really needs to read the updmap help carefully, to check that everything work as intended on the new system.

But again that is no criticism of the new system: it is indeed more consistent and flexible than the old one. (Not to mention the fact that the new updmap script is way faster than the old one!)

Bruno