[lucida] TeXShop installation of Lucida fonts

Lori Hughes hughesla at comcast.net
Mon Feb 21 17:55:31 CET 2011

On Feb 21, 2011, at 1:38 AM, Axel E. Retif wrote:

> On 20 Feb, 2011, at 12:55, Lori Hughes wrote:
>
> Sorry for not replying sooner.
>
>>> [...]
>>>
>>> First, where did you install the Lucida package: /usr/local/
>>> texlive/texmf-local or ~/Library/texmf?
>>
>> both places. Maybe overkill, but I thought perhaps TeXShop was
>> searching the other place
>
> TeXShop in fact only searches the binaries (say, pdftex) and the
> rest is done by a very complex mechanism thanks to the kpathsea
> library (of which kpsewhich is a tool). So if TeXShop is finding the
> binaries, we have to look somewhere else for the problem.
>
> If you're using an Intel Mac, the command Karl told you
>
> 	ls -l /usr/texbin
>
> should output
>
> 	/usr/texbin@ -> ../Library/TeX/Distributions/.DefaultTeX/Contents/
> Programs/i386

Yep, it does.

> Now ---you say you installed in both /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local
> and ~/Library/texmf, but at least you didn't in fact install in ~/
> Library/texmf (but ~/Library/texlive/2010) ---are you sure you did
> install also in /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local? When you say where
> lucida.map is, you don't mention /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local.

I think this may be the issue. I don't seem to have the same file
structure that you refer to.  More info below...

> By your first email, I can see that Karl's command
>
> 	kpsewhich updmap.cfg
>
> will output /usr/local/texlive/2010/texmf-config/web2c/updmap.cfg ---
> right? If so, we're OK with that.

Yes, we get
/usr/local/texlive/2010/texmf-config/web2c/updmap.cfg

> Before editing by hand updmap.cfg, let's examine what ~/Library/
> texlive/2010/ is. This directory is the equivalent of ~.texlive2010/
> in Linux systems (up to MacTeX 2009, we also had a ~.texlive2009/
> directory).
>
> Now ---I'm not sure if sudo updmap-sys will look into this directory
> for map files. In your first email you said that with sudo updmap-
> sys --enable Map lucida.map you got
>
> updmap: initial config file is `/usr/local/texlive/2010/texmf-config/
> web2c/updmap.cfg'
> updmap: configuration (updmap.cfg) unchanged. Map files will not be
> recreated
>
> so I'm guessing ``sudo updmap-sys'' didn't find or look into ~/
> Library/texlive/2010, though kpsewhich does. Just to be sure, the
> command
>
> 	updmap --listmaps | grep lucida
>
> in my system outputs
>
> updmap: This is updmap, version $Id: updmap 17423 2010-03-11
> 17:53:34Z karl $ updmap: no permissions for writing /usr/local/
> texlive/2010/texmf-var/web2c/updmap.log', so no transcript
> Map lucida.map
>
> but you don't get that last ``Map lucida.map'' line, right?

I get
updmap: This is updmap, version $Id: updmap 17423 2010-03-11 17:53:34Z
karl $
updmap: using transcript file `/Users/lorihughes/Library/texlive/2010/
texmf-var/web2c/updmap.log'
Map lucida.map
Map lucida.map

(Map lucida.map indeed appears twice...)

> Now ---what I would advise you to do is uninstall every Lucida file
> in ~/Library/texlive/2010/ ---*absolutely everything*: *.tfm, *.fd,
> *.sty, etc.--- and put all in
>
> /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local

I can't do this because I cannot find this /usr/local/texlive/texmf-
local directory path.

So I entered ls -a to see if that path were hidden, and I got this
output

Macintosh:~ lorihughes$ ls -a
.			.dropbox		Library
..			.sh_history		Movies
.CFUserTextEncoding	.texlive2008		Music
.DS_Store		.texlive2009		Pictures
.DownloadManager	Applications		Public
.Trash			Desktop			Sambucus Data
.adobe			Documents		Send Registration
.bash_history		Downloads		Sites
.cups			Dropbox

When I use MacOSX and look for this file path, I cannot find it.
Within the Library folder, I have folders called texlive and texmf,
but I cannot find folders with those names *outside* of Library.

> In your Terminal the command
>
> 	open `kpsewhich --var-value TEXMFLOCAL`
>
> should open said directory, right?

I get
Macintosh:~ lorihughes$ open 'kpsewhich --var-value TEXMFLOCAL'
The file /Users/lorihughes/kpsewhich --var-value TEXMFLOCAL does not
exist.

> Then copy the lucida .zip file there; say your .zip file is in the
> Desktop and its name is lucida.zip, then
>
> 	cd ~/Desktop
> 	sudo cp lucida.zip /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/
>
> I see in http://www.tug.org/store/lucida/README.TUG that the Lucida
> package is distributed as an unpackaging-into-place archive; so ---
> but, please, Karl et al., correct me if I'm wrong---
>
> 	cd /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local
> 	sudo unzip lucida.zip
>
> should unpack everything into place. If it doesn't, please tell us
> and I'll give a list of where you should put every item.
>
> If it does, as I hope so, then, in your Terminal
>
> 	sudo texhash
> 	sudo updmap-sys --nohash --nomkmap --syncwithtrees
> 	sudo updmap-sys --enable Map=lucida.map
>
> and you're donne.
>
> Please tell us if it works.

I am fondly remembering the days of afm2tfm and the manually entering
the necessary lines into the psfonts.map file...  : )   Keep the
suggestions coming! I am persistent. We'll get it eventually.

Thanks,

Lori