[lucida] TeXShop installation of Lucida fonts

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Tue Feb 22 00:33:07 CET 2011

    Macintosh:~ lorihughes$ open 'kpsewhich --var-value TEXMFLOCAL'
    The file /Users/lorihughes/kpsewhich --var-value TEXMFLOCAL does not

Well, the answer to that is that the quotes need to be backticks (`)
rather than apostrophes (').  But from what you say, it sounds like it
will be an empty or nonexistent directory
(/usr/local/texlive/texmf-local), so I'm not sure what it buys us.

In general, putting everything under /usr/local shouldn't be necessary,
as far as I know.  You already have lucida.map in updmap.cfg, and
kpsewhich can find lucida.map, so why won't it update
{pdftex,psfonts}.map?  I don't know.  Axel's final recipe:

 	sudo texhash
 	sudo updmap-sys --nohash --nomkmap --syncwithtrees
 	sudo updmap-sys --enable Map=lucida.map

looks like it's worth a try to me.  At least it shouldn't do any harm.

    manually entering the necessary lines into the psfonts.map file... : )

You can still do that if you want :).  Find the file lucida.map,
copy its contents into psfonts.map and pdftex.map.  kpsewhich should
return the full paths to each of those files.

    axel> I see in http://www.tug.org/store/lucida/README.TUG that the Lucida
    > package is distributed as an unpackaging-into-place archive; so ---
    > but, please, Karl et al., correct me if I'm wrong---

Yes, that is correct.  The structure of the .zip file has all the needed
(sub)directories for unpacking.

Hoping,