[lucida] TeXShop installation of Lucida fonts

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Sun Feb 20 00:13:21 CET 2011

Hi Lori,

    updmap: configuration (updmap.cfg) unchanged. Map files will not be
    recreated.

Something is off, indeed.  Evidently it somehow thinks lucida.map is
already enabled ("configuration unchanged", yet your run of the sample
document proves that it isn't.

What I notice is that your Lucida install is using the path
/usr/local/texlive/2010:
mktexlsr: Updating /usr/local/texlive/2010/../texmf-local/ls-R...

But your trial run is using /usr/texbin:
!pdfTeX error: /usr/texbin/pdflatex (file hlcrima): Font hlcrima at

/usr/texbin should be a symlink to /usr/local/texlive/2010, but I bet it
isn't.  As I understand it, if you installed MacTeX in the normal way,
you should have a new preference pane in System Preferences for "TeX
Distributions" and you should be able to select "TeX Live 2010" there.

Can you check that?

Also ... have you installed other "local" fonts/macros that didn't come
with the distribution?  Just wondering if we need to worry about
switching away from wherever /usr/texbin is pointing now.

Thanks for your support,
Karl