[lucida] Installing BH Lucida on teTeX

Frank Shute frank at shute.org.uk
Sat May 29 11:29:30 CEST 2010

On Sat, May 29, 2010 at 01:05:28AM -0500, Axel E. Retif wrote:

> On  28 May, 2010, at 22:19, Volker Kuhlmann wrote:
>
> > On Sat 29 May 2010 14:10:16 NZST +1200, Frank Shute wrote:
> >
> >> I've just bought the Bigelow & Holmes complete Lucida set and am
> >> having problems installing it.
>
> [...]
>
> > Your latex is loading the correct lucida-related files.
>
> [...]
>
> >> $ xdvi lucida-sample.dvi
> >>
> >> kpathsea: Running mktexpk --mfmode / --bdpi 600 --mag 1+18/600 --dpi 618 hlcrv
> >> mktexpk: don't know how to create bitmap font for hlcrv.
> >
> > xdvi doesn't find what it's looking for. Actually I'm not sure whether
> > xdvi can handle anything but pk files, and pk files are traditionally
> > created from metafont sources. I am not sure mktexpk is the correct
> > program to create pk files from type1 fonts. I don't think ttf fonts are
> > of any use here. And xdvi is pretty dead anyway?
> >
> > I suggest you get dvips going first.

dvips is a non-worker. It runs mktexpk.

> I tried on a Mac and TeXLive 2009, and xdvi had no problems. But why
> don't you try with pdflatex? If PDF is produced without problems,
> then your installation would seem to be fine and, as Volker says,
> it's just a problem with xdvi.

pdflatex is a non-worker. It runs mktexpk.

> I see there are FreeBSD ports of Kile and TeXMaker, which you can
> use to follow the route suggested by Volker ---latex -> dvips, in
> case pdfLaTeX is not an option for you (if you're producing PSTricks
> figures, for example).

I installed TeXLive after having messed around with teTeX for a couple
of hours but I'm exactly where I started.

latex seems to work; pdflatex, xdvi and dvips can't find the fonts.

Yet:

$ updmap-sys --quiet --listavailablemaps | grep lucida
Map lucida.map

I unpacked the lucida tarball under:

/usr/local/texlive/2009/texmf-dist

having given up on trying to get a local tree going.

Ran:

# mktexlsr
# updmap-sys --enable Map lucida.map

The first time I ran that 2nd command it complained that lucida.map
was not found.

Now I'm at a loss what to try next. I'm not a TeXnician, I only know
how to write & run LaTeX.

Regards,

--

 Frank