[lucida] Installing BH Lucida on teTeX

Axel E. Retif axel.retif at mac.com
Sat May 29 13:08:30 CEST 2010

On  29 May, 2010, at 04:29, Frank Shute wrote:

> [...]

> I installed TeXLive after having messed around with teTeX for a couple
> of hours but I'm exactly where I started.

TeXLive 2009 is good. I think it will be easier now.

> latex seems to work; pdflatex, xdvi and dvips can't find the fonts.
>
> Yet:
>
> $ updmap-sys --quiet --listavailablemaps | grep lucida
> Map lucida.map
>
> I unpacked the lucida tarball under:
>
> /usr/local/texlive/2009/texmf-dist

I would rather have used /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/, but I guess it won't matter much.

> having given up on trying to get a local tree going.
>
> Ran:
>
> # mktexlsr
> # updmap-sys --enable Map lucida.map
>
> The first time I ran that 2nd command it complained that lucida.map
> was not found.

Did you run these commands first as a normal user ($) or as root (#)?

If the first ($), I think you might have an invisible directory .texlive2009 in your $HOME with psfonts.map and pdftex.map (and maybe updmap.cfg).

Try

kpsewhich updmap.cfg             You should get

/usr/local/texlive/2009/texmf-config/web2c/updmap.cfg

kpsewhich psfonts.map            It should be

/usr/local/texlive/2009/texmf-var/fonts/map/dvips/updmap/psfonts.map

kpsewhich pdftex.map             You should get

/usr/local/texlive/2009/texmf-var/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap/pdftex.map

Even if you get these results (and more so if you don't), I would delete .texlive2009 in your $HOME (TeXLive will re-create it when it needs it).

Now --- 1) as root run  mktexlsr; 2) check if

/usr/local/texlive/2009/texmf-config/web2c/updmap.cfg

has `` Map lucida.map ''; if it does, run, as root,

updmap-sys

if it doesn't, run again, also as root,

updmap-sys --enable Map=lucida.map

3) now check if

/usr/local/texlive/2009/texmf-var/fonts/map/dvips/updmap/psfonts.map

and

/usr/local/texlive/2009/texmf-var/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap/pdftex.map

have indeed Lucida fonts enabled, with lines like

hlcbot8r LucidaTypewriterBoldOblique "TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont" <8r.enc <lbtbo.pfb

If they do, dvips and pdflatex should work. If they don't, please report back.

Best,

Axel